The Student Room Group

Moving to Italy?

I really aspire to move to Italy when I am older. I’m especially interested in the Tuscany region. Anyone who’s moved from the UK to Italy gimme some advice and tips!
Reply 1
Do yourself and everyone else a favour and start learning the language now.
I am too! But in Padua, italy to live with my bf. I can pm you if you want!
Original post by E51
Do yourself and everyone else a favour and start learning the language now.

I am
I'm in the process of moving to Florence, Tuscany. I did my Erasmus year abroad there and loved it, but moving for real is very different than moving for a year abroad where you don't need residency etc. I, too, would welcome any tips.
Reply 5
Original post by Autumnbelle
I really aspire to move to Italy when I am older. I’m especially interested in the Tuscany region. Anyone who’s moved from the UK to Italy gimme some advice and tips!

Omg, why? just for its beauty? I recommend you to get informed about Italy's economy because at the moment is very difficult to find a permanent job. For instance, in the UK I noticed that whenever someone is tired of a job, doesn't find it for him/her or doesn't like it, people tend leave it and find a new one. In Italy, this is not very common and it's pretty difficult to find a new job but I don't know, you might be lucky.
Btw, I am talking as born and raised italian who moved here 1.5 year ago to study and for the many job opportunities in the UK.
Also, I love IT and it's the best place in the world to me, plus, there are many pros, like the food, people, tradition etc. but is it worth it if you don't have a permanent job? I don't know, as i said, i wish you luck since everyone has it differently in life.
Reply 6
Other way round, i'm italian and lived there until a few years ago and now i live in the uk. I loved every single minute of it! I lived in a small village in Emilia Romagna :smile: Obviously it wasn't my choice to move, but here's a word of advice, my mum only moved to the uk because she couldn't even find a job and she was a resident ! The economy is quite bad currently and has been for a while therefore hunting for jobs may be hard. However, the beauty,culture and food wont let you down !! Life over there is quite different though, for example the education system is pretty much nothing like the one in the uk. IMO I'd love to live there again (i had to leave family and friends :frown:) but i'm not sure if you'll be able to earn much in the first few years.
Reply 7
Original post by macy_m
Other way round, i'm italian and lived there until a few years ago and now i live in the uk. I loved every single minute of it! I lived in a small village in Emilia Romagna :smile: Obviously it wasn't my choice to move, but here's a word of advice, my mum only moved to the uk because she couldn't even find a job and she was a resident ! The economy is quite bad currently and has been for a while therefore hunting for jobs may be hard. However, the beauty,culture and food wont let you down !! Life over there is quite different though, for example the education system is pretty much nothing like the one in the uk. IMO I'd love to live there again (i had to leave family and friends :frown:) but i'm not sure if you'll be able to earn much in the first few years.

omioddio ciao, I am pretty much in your same situation, I was born and lived in Bologna all my life and I wish I could go back to live there but I don't think it would be worth it because of the future I project to build for myself. To be honest, if the economy and job situation wouldn't be like it is now, I would definitely go back and start from scratch but the circumstances are already difficult for people living there so there would be no point.
Reply 8
Original post by Curlyhaj
omioddio ciao, I am pretty much in your same situation, I was born and lived in Bologna all my life and I wish I could go back to live there but I don't think it would be worth it because of the future I project to build for myself. To be honest, if the economy and job situation wouldn't be like it is now, I would definitely go back and start from scratch but the circumstances are already difficult for people living there so there would be no point.

ciaaaao, yes exactly i think i'll earn more money here and be more successful! I lived a couple of hours away from you, so in San Polo D'enza (a village) in provincia di Reggio Emilia :smile:

No thanks to bloody Brexit it’s no longer gonna be easy to move to Italy or any other EU country unless you are highly qualified and have skills that Italy is in need of for instance you will need at least a degree preferably in sciences, engineering or medicine & dentistry. Even with those degrees they will employ their own citizens first or other EU citizens (of which we are no longer part of). As a none EU citizen you will have to live there for at least 5 years and pay up-to €1 million to buy citizenship which was an automatic perk we enjoyed when we used to be in the EU, but then you can thank all those lovely bigoted brexiters for that.
i bough ticket to travel to Milano for 2 weeks on july,but coronavirus ruined all my plans

I lived in Tuscany for almost 3 months in the summer, doing some temporary summer work.
Absolutely beautiful area. Although most people speak some english, it's better if you learn some italian.

There are very few permanent jobs there

Quick Reply

Latest