The Student Room Group

Not sure which sixth form to choose! Need some un-biased opinions!

Right so I've been offered a place at two sixth forms that are both really good but both offer complete different things for me.

Sixth form 1 - Staying on at my current school where i will take Sociology, Philosophy and BTEC Public Services

Pros - I'll know all the teachers, it will all be familiar, i'll get more qualifications on top of my selected A levels and BTECs, I'll know the majority of the people in the sixth form, its a 5 min walk from my house and i'll still see my favourite teacher about.

Cons - I'll be stuck with the same friends when i really could do with a change, havent really got someone to rely on there, I won't have as good a social life and all of this could lead to a negative impact on my well being.

Sixth form 2 - moving to a different school. I'll take Sociology, Double Health and Social care and potentially psychology.

Pros - I'll potentially make a lot of new friends, it'll be a well needed fresh start, some of my good mates already go there, i'll enjoy school more, i'll have a better social life and none of them will know about my past issues.

Cons - It could be the exact same as my current school, i'll have to get a bus everyday at 7:15am, i'll get less qualifications, I won't know any teachers and i'll be leaving my favourite teacher behind.

I'm just really unsure because i've not had the best experience at my current school and one of the main things making me want to leave is the friend situation and the main thing making me want to stay is the teacher situation.
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated !
As someone who was offered a place at grammar sixth form and my school’s sixth form, I choose my school’s simply because I didn’t like the idea of unfamiliarity.
I was in the exact same position as you last year, and I chose to go to the other school.
I was satisfied with my old school, but I wasn't as happy as I should've been and I thought that I needed a fresh start - and I'm so glad I did.
Don't get my wrong, it wasn't an easy choice but my gut was telling me to leave and I was worried that in hindsight I might regret it but I definitely don't.
At the new school, I'm so much happier, I've made some really good friends and my social life is a lot better.
Sixth form isn't all about the studying - you need to enjoy it as well because it's the last two years you will get of school.
Make sure you are doing subjects you love because otherwise it will be living hell!
I miss loads of my teachers from my old school - but I've now got new favourite teachers which I spend a lot more time with because of the increased amount of lessons for each individual subject, so don't worry about teachers.
I hope everything goes well for you - trust your gut decision!
Reply 3
Original post by izzycrane
Right so I've been offered a place at two sixth forms that are both really good but both offer complete different things for me.

Sixth form 1 - Staying on at my current school where i will take Sociology, Philosophy and BTEC Public Services

Pros - I'll know all the teachers, it will all be familiar, i'll get more qualifications on top of my selected A levels and BTECs, I'll know the majority of the people in the sixth form, its a 5 min walk from my house and i'll still see my favourite teacher about.

Cons - I'll be stuck with the same friends when i really could do with a change, havent really got someone to rely on there, I won't have as good a social life and all of this could lead to a negative impact on my well being.

Sixth form 2 - moving to a different school. I'll take Sociology, Double Health and Social care and potentially psychology.

Pros - I'll potentially make a lot of new friends, it'll be a well needed fresh start, some of my good mates already go there, i'll enjoy school more, i'll have a better social life and none of them will know about my past issues.

Cons - It could be the exact same as my current school, i'll have to get a bus everyday at 7:15am, i'll get less qualifications, I won't know any teachers and i'll be leaving my favourite teacher behind.

I'm just really unsure because i've not had the best experience at my current school and one of the main things making me want to leave is the friend situation and the main thing making me want to stay is the teacher situation.
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated !

Tbh, I'm in exactly the same situation between my school's sixth form or a sixth form college. I basically have the same reasons as you 😂 but am still struggling to make a decision.
I am however verging towards the sixth form college as I feel it would be good for me and I need a new start - that's been my gut feeling since I visited the sixth form college, but I'm literally the worst at making decisions, especially important ones.
If I were you, I'd think about which one you would rather go to, that would make you the happiest, and what your gut and conscience is telling you. You do what you want to do, especially if you haven't had the best experience at your current school. Fresh starts can be good! I hope😅 I guess we'll see
Anyway, good luck 👍 - hope this reply wasn't bias😂

Quick Reply

Latest