The Student Room Group

Biology degree stress

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxFossil
It's hard to answer that - how many degrees will get you a "good stable" job these days? I know plenty of people who did IT or psychology or Maths degrees and have ended up having to go into something unrelated. There are subdivisions of Biology which are probably more employment oriented than others eg genetics, but these days, most first degrees don't get you a guaranteed job. You have to go on to do some applied training or qualification before job chances are seriously raised.
Of people I know who did a Biology degree:
- two did a PhD and became university lecturers
- one did a Masters and got a job in a conservation charity
- one went straight from uni into another uni to retrain as a vet
- one went home to manage his family estate (!)
- one couldn't get a job and eventually used the degree to get into the car industry
- one couldn't get a job and retrained as a nurse

If you want to go into pure research or academia, Biology is as good as any.
If you are attracted by careers like investment banking, I have no advice except perhaps to question your values :wink:

Also. Would you therefore recommend a Biology degree, if I have really good work experience
Reply 21
Original post by randomquestion
That’s quite worrying! Is this because they are saving up for funds/studying, or because they couldn’t find anything else?

Would you recommend this degree?

Mainly they needed a job, didn't plan to go into science after and as such are just saving up until they find a new path to go down.
Original post by E51
Mainly they needed a job, didn't plan to go into science after and as such are just saving up until they find a new path to go down.

Did they do finance related work experience during uni?
Original post by E51

So would you recommend this degree?
I do biochemistry and find it really interesting. The skills that a biology degree will equip you with will be beneficial in a lot of career paths. I personally think its better to pick a degree you are interested in because you are more likely to do well. If half way through you don't like it or if you want to go into a job that doesn't involve it then you can gain work experience to boost your CV in other areas.
Reply 25
Did they do finance related work experience during uni?

They were part of the economics society. The one at UCL is pretty big and good for networking.
So would you recommend this degree?

My life is going down a different path but I don't regret studying biology. If you enjoy it, go for it. But try to at least have a plan about what you want to do after. The plan can change but having some sort of path is a good idea.
Original post by E51
They were part of the economics society. The one at UCL is pretty big and good for networking.

My life is going down a different path but I don't regret studying biology. If you enjoy it, go for it. But try to at least have a plan about what you want to do after. The plan can change but having some sort of path is a good idea.

Sorry to keep asking, but did the end up in retail as they couldn’t find anything else to do?
I’m planning to teach, but want to know about the wide variety of back-up choices that are available!
Original post by E51

Also would you say overall that career prospects are good?
Reply 28
Sorry to keep asking, but did the end up in retail as they couldn’t find anything else to do?
I’m planning to teach, but want to know about the wide variety of back-up choices that are available!

No, they ended up in retail because they wanted a quick and easy job to earn some money. A biology degree may not have you walk into a £50k grad job, but if you use your time at university wisely, get experience, and have a CV it's not a dead end either. I would keep in mind though that the economic and job climate may very well be different by the time you graduate due to covid-19.
Reply 29
Also would you say overall that career prospects are good?

To those that make themselves stand out, sure. There's a lot you can do.
Original post by E51
No, they ended up in retail because they wanted a quick and easy job to earn some money. A biology degree may not have you walk into a £50k grad job, but if you use your time at university wisely, get experience, and have a CV it's not a dead end either. I would keep in mind though that the economic and job climate may very well be different by the time you graduate due to covid-19.

So what advice would you give when choosing a degree?
And is this money for funding etc? For future plans?
Reply 31
So what advice would you give when choosing a degree?
And is this money for funding etc? For future plans?

Day to day living, rent etc. The number of people I know who have gone into retail etc. is only a handful. My advice is choose something you can do well in, try to have a plan, get experience, build up a good CV. If the job market is pants when you graduate you'll need all the help you can get.
Original post by E51
Day to day living, rent etc. The number of people I know who have gone into retail etc. is only a handful. My advice is choose something you can do well in, try to have a plan, get experience, build up a good CV. If the job market is pants when you graduate you'll need all the help you can get.

I am scared of not getting a professional job with Biology, or one will rlly low pay!
Reply 33
I am scared of not getting a professional job with Biology, or one will rlly low pay!

Do you want to go into academia?
Original post by E51
Do you want to go into academia?

I primarily want to go into teaching. I am scared if I change my mind on this, and so want to see if there’s many other options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending