Primrose1267
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m pretty sure I want to take sociology, I had an a level taster day and chose it as one of my subjects to try out. However it was hard to get an essence of what sociology is really about considering it was only a 1 hour overview of the subject. What wondering if someone could tell me if it’s an enjoyable subject and what it really consists of
Bethbxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Primrose1267)
I’m pretty sure I want to take sociology, I had an a level taster day and chose it as one of my subjects to try out. However it was hard to get an essence of what sociology is really about considering it was only a 1 hour overview of the subject. What wondering if someone could tell me if it’s an enjoyable subject and what it really consists of
I really enjoyed Sociology. There’s a lot of names to remember and complimentary statistics used to evaluate your points. Although statistics aren’t quote on quote essential - you could always use a separate sociologidt as your counter argument. For the course you do families and households (which is split into several segments, family diversity, domestic labour, ect) and education and education policy (which covers the gender gap, gender and subject choice, the effects of race, class and ethnicity ect). There’s other topics, 4 topics altogether. We done crime and deviance and mass media, although I’m pretty sure there’s other topics (selected by your teacher) such as religion and health. There’s 4 main theories you’ll learn - Functuonslism, Marxism, Feminism and Postmodernism, and these 4 theories you’ll continually apply to the content you’ve learnt. It’s interesting although the workload, as with any other A level, is substantial. The grade boundaries are probably the best part of the subject. They’re incredibly low, especially when contrasted with a subject such as English Lit where the grade boundaries are next to 100%.
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Check out the youtube channel below and there's also a podcast called @allsociology (They're A-level resources, with a lot of great info)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTEACHERSOCIOLOGY
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey @primrose1267!

I'm glad you're thinking about choosing Sociology! I studied it for A-Levels too and really enjoyed it! Although I didn't think it would, it really helped the other subjects that I was studying at the time (History, Government and Politics, and English Literature) and it continues to help my studies now (International Relations and Politics at university).

There are a lot of names, dates and concepts to remember, but with work and effort, it is manageable. I found most of the topics which we learnt very interesting and helped give me more perspective about life and the world!

If you weren't given something similar in your tester day, you could look up specifications from exam boards to see exactly what you will be learning to see if it sound interesting to you!

What other subjects will you be studying? Are you thinking of going into higher education?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Primrose1267
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey @primrose1267!

I'm glad you're thinking about choosing Sociology! I studied it for A-Levels too and really enjoyed it! Although I didn't think it would, it really helped the other subjects that I was studying at the time (History, Government and Politics, and English Literature) and it continues to help my studies now (International Relations and Politics at university).

There are a lot of names, dates and concepts to remember, but with work and effort, it is manageable. I found most of the topics which we learnt very interesting and helped give me more perspective about life and the world!

If you weren't given something similar in your tester day, you could look up specifications from exam boards to see exactly what you will be learning to see if it sound interesting to you!

What other subjects will you be studying? Are you thinking of going into higher education?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Sorry for the late reply, I have recently just received my gcse results which I was over the moon with! After filling out my subject choices I chose sociology, art and maths. After I posted my question about the suitability of sociology I did an overview course of the subject. It went into further depth and I found it extremely interesting. I love that there seemed to be no wrong or right answer, it was a matter of opinion so long as you justify and reason it. After completing this I came to the final decision to take it. I am hoping to go onto higher education fingers crossed a university .
Primrose1267
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
Check out the youtube channel below and there's also a podcast called @allsociology (They're A-level resources, with a lot of great info)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTEACHERSOCIOLOGY
Thank you! Sorry for a late reply, I have decided to take sociology for a level!
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you! Sorry for a late reply, I have decided to take sociology for a level!
Enjoy! Best wishes x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads