The Student Room Group

NHS looks into taking BAME staff off frontline for their safety

Black people and minority ethnics are to be "risk-assessed” and reassigned to duties that leave them at lesser risk of contracting coronavirus, under guidance set out by NHS bosses in England.

The move was unveiled in a letter sent on Wednesday to hospital trusts, providers of mental health care, ambulance services and organisations providing community-based healthcare.

It makes clear that the new guidance was prompted by growing evidence that people of BAME origin are more at risk from Covid-19, and by the need to save lives.

Some NHS trusts have already recognised the extra risk faced by their BAME workforce and taken steps to reduce that. For example, Somerset NHS foundation trust, which provides a wide range of medical services in the county, has classed them as “vulnerable and at risk”. It has begun asking BAME staff if they feel safe at work, giving them priority for testing and ensuring that they undergo a “fit-test” in order to wear an FFP3 ventilator mask, which all health professionals working with Covid-positive patients are meant to use as a key part of their personal protective equipment.

Outlining the measures, the trust’s chief executive, Peter Lewis, told BAME staff: “Many of you will be concerned about the disproportionate impact of Covid-19 on BAME colleagues in the UK. We understand that this is worrying and we want to do all we can to ensure you feel safe and supported during this difficult time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/nhs-bosses-say-bame-staff-should-be-risk-assessed-to-cut-covid-19

Good move. But I am confused why they are asking doctors and nurses to return from retirement if they are concerned about them dying? Old people are massively more at risk from dying. And of course, men are twice as likely to die as women, yet there is afaik no move to put men in safer positions.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Black people and minority ethnics are to be "risk-assessed” and reassigned to duties that leave them at lesser risk of contracting coronavirus, under guidance set out by NHS bosses in England.

The move was unveiled in a letter sent on Wednesday to hospital trusts, providers of mental health care, ambulance services and organisations providing community-based healthcare.

It makes clear that the new guidance was prompted by growing evidence that people of BAME origin are more at risk from Covid-19, and by the need to save lives.

Some NHS trusts have already recognised the extra risk faced by their BAME workforce and taken steps to reduce that. For example, Somerset NHS foundation trust, which provides a wide range of medical services in the county, has classed them as “vulnerable and at risk”. It has begun asking BAME staff if they feel safe at work, giving them priority for testing and ensuring that they undergo a “fit-test” in order to wear an FFP3 ventilator mask, which all health professionals working with Covid-positive patients are meant to use as a key part of their personal protective equipment.

Outlining the measures, the trust’s chief executive, Peter Lewis, told BAME staff: “Many of you will be concerned about the disproportionate impact of Covid-19 on BAME colleagues in the UK. We understand that this is worrying and we want to do all we can to ensure you feel safe and supported during this difficult time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/nhs-bosses-say-bame-staff-should-be-risk-assessed-to-cut-covid-19

Good move. But I am confused why they are asking doctors and nurses to return from retirement if they are concerned about them dying? Old people are massively more at risk from dying. And of course, men are twice as likely to die as women, yet there is afaik no move to put men in safer positions.

Skip to the end of this podcast where ethnic deaths are discussed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000hn4s

I can't remember the details but ethnic minority doctors are many many many times more likely to die than their white counter parts. The probability is something akin to tossing 17 heads in a row.
Reply 2
Seems mildly offensive to their colleagues to utterly disregard their health... especially given that there is no proven racial component to this virus, as opposed to social ones.
Reply 3
This if anything is testament to institutionalised discrimination within this country, that is costing people lives. Discrimination in this country is killing ethnic minorities. Because they lack authority they are assigned the most risky jobs, while their white colleagues are protected from these responsibilities. This behaviour is a part of British history. In the first and the second world wars, ethnic minorities were thrown at the front lines and used as human shields by individuals, institutions and the Government. I think the same can be said of men as well. Men are given risky tasks whilst women are protected from these tasks. I do not doubt for a second that sex discrimination is a contributor to the higher death rates amongst men in this Corona pandemic. Men are being used as human shields for women, but this latter form of discrimination, I doubt very much, will ever be recognised let alone addressed because it does not fit in with the institutionalised feminist narrative.

I've personally seen both of these forms of discrimination at university and in the NHS on clinical placements. I have also spoken to many students studying healthcare courses who have suffered this discrimination at universities that teach these kind of courses. Ethnic minorities and men suffer a lot of discrimination in healthcare.

Point of interest: Whenever a crime happens involving an ethnic minority, the media is quick to point out and emphasise their ethnicity and their religion. However, most healthcare workers dying on the front lines in this pandemic are ethnic minorities and media outlets seem to be going out of their way to avoid emphasising the ethnicities and religion of these people, most of whom are clearly muslim. The media are quick to emphasise 'muslim extremism' but they seem to be intentionally avoiding referring to the muslim religion of the doctors that are dying fighting this pandemic. This is one manifestation of the institutionalised discrimination to which I referred earlier in this post.

P.S. I do not trust any of these superficial 'support' schemes put in place by the NHS or the Government. This is why I advise BAME friends and colleagues to always remain vigilant and not to take any risks. This advice of course has its limits. Where you are a minority, if you do not toe the line, if you refuse to do so, you will be made to pay a price...and then there is of course the matter of others responsible for your welfare, driven by racism/sexism, not living up to their responsibilities towards you and giving you the security that you need.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show