Help me with chemistry

Watch this thread
Meganbw23
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0mw-...wwp0-xLU3SUphw

Can anyone help me with my a level chemistry task that I’ve been set. It’s about spectroscopy and identifying the compounds. You’ll need something to identify the values on the graph.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Meganbw23)
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0mw-...wwp0-xLU3SUphw

Can anyone help me with my a level chemistry task that I’ve been set. It’s about spectroscopy and identifying the compounds. You’ll need something to identify the values on the graph.
You must be able to work out the empirical formula.

There is a broad peak at about 3300 and a massive peak at about 1700. They should be a massive clue. If the pH less than 7 wasn't enough of a clue for you.

The mass of Br2 gives you the number of mol. The 1:1 ratio with Br2 tells you there is one C=C and therefore how many mol of compound A there is and using the mass, you can work out its Mr, which together with the empirical formula tells you the molecular formula and by now what it could be.

By the way, what does the 'b' stand for?
Meganbw23
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
You must be able to work out the empirical formula.

There is a broad peak at about 3300 and a massive peak at about 1700. They should be a massive clue. If the pH less than 7 wasn't enough of a clue for you.

The mass of Br2 gives you the number of mol. The 1:1 ratio with Br2 tells you there is one C=C and therefore how many mol of compound A there is and using the mass, you can work out its Mr, which together with the empirical formula tells you the molecular formula and by now what it could be.

By the way, what does the 'b' stand for?
I don’t know what ‘ b’ you’re on about.

How do I work out the mr from the empirical formula
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don’t know what ‘ b’ you’re on about.

How do I work out the mr from the empirical formula
The b in your username.

You can work out the Mr since you know the amount of compound A that you have and the mass of A.
Meganbw23
Rep:
The b in your username.

You can work out the Mr since you know the amount of compound A that you have and the mass of A.
Oh, Brooke
Meganbw23
Rep:
I literally cannot think right now and I can’t remember how to work out the mr from empirical formula. I don’t understand how to do it.
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I literally cannot think right now and I can’t remember how to work out the mr from empirical formula. I don’t understand how to do it.
You can't work out Mr from emp. form.

You can work out how many mol of Br2 reacts and you're told that it reacts with A in a 1:1 reaction, so now you know how many mol of A you have and you're told the mass that that many mol of A has, so you can use n=m/Mr.
Meganbw23
Rep:
You can't work out Mr from emp. form.

You can work out how many mol of Br2 reacts and you're told that it reacts with A in a 1:1 reaction, so now you know how many mol of A you have and you're told the mass that that many mol of A has, so you can use n=m/Mr.
So the empirical formula is C2H3O Would I divide 2.00 by 43.03 which is the formula of the empirical formula
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So the empirical formula is C2H3O Would I divide 2.00 by 43.03 which is the formula of the empirical formula
You don't have 43.03 mol of Br2.
Meganbw23
Rep:
You don't have 43.03 mol of Br2.
No I know. That value is if you take the the empirical formula and work out the total of the values for each carbon hydrogen and oxygen and add them together.
Meganbw23
Rep:
Do you know what the mr is from the data provided? If you could tell me that would be a great starting point for me so that I could actually answer the question.
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Do you know what the mr is from the data provided? If you could tell me that would be a great starting point for me so that I could actually answer the question.
How many mol of Br2 are there?
How many mol of A do they react with?
Given that you have 2.00 g of A, what must its Mr be? (n=m/Mr)
Meganbw23
Rep:
How many mol of Br2 are there?
How many mol of A do they react with?
Given that you have 2.00 g of A, what must its Mr be? (n=m/Mr)
I don’t know how many moles of br2 there are lol
Meganbw23
Rep:
I don’t know how many moles of br2 there are lol
0.02 moles of br2 so it would be the same for confound A?
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
0.02 moles of br2 so it would be the same for confound A?
2.00/159.8 isn't quite 0.02, but the real value would also be the amount of A.
Meganbw23
Rep:
2.00/159.8 isn't quite 0.02, but the real value would also be the amount of A.
I know it’s like 0.023 something what would I do next to get the mr of A
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I know it’s like 0.023 something what would I do next to get the mr of A
As I have said already, use n=m/Mr
Meganbw23
Rep:
As I have said already, use n=m/Mr
Do I rearrange the equation? What values do I use
Pigster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Do I rearrange the equation? What values do I use
n = amount
m = mass
Mr = relative molecular mass

You're going to have to do some of the work. I am not here to just do everything for you.
Meganbw23
Rep:
n = amount
m = mass
Mr = relative molecular mass

You're going to have to do some of the work. I am not here to just do everything for you.
I just asked what values I use and if I rearrange the equation ??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (57)
40.43%
They're exactly what I expected (34)
24.11%