Leahtaylor125
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
hi I start year 12 in September. I am taking English language (edexcel), geography (ocr) and history (aqa) I took geography at gcse but not history. does anyone have any subject or general advise please?
ehfos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hi, I'm year 12, I take geography, sociology and business, I would've taken English language but my school doesn't do it, however, I went to an open day at another school and they take language and honestly the course looked great, there was lots of creativity involved. I also do OCR geography and I started off doing coasts (physical) and changing spaces making places (human) and those courses were great I loved them but they were hard, I'm now finished one of my "geographical debates" topics which was diseases and that was alright it was slightly boring and I'm also coming to the end of my 2nd human geography topic which was global connections and that's all about migrations but this is even worse than diseases, it may be due to my dull teacher but other than that I'm looking forward to starting my other geo debates topic as that sounds more interesting, however, these topics may change entirely depending on your school. But i now have to start my "NEA" which is basically 3 months of coursework and you have to think of a entirely new concept, either physical or human and you have to do lots of primary and secondary research into it, but once you get the jist i think it will be alright, it does take up 20% of your final grade though, as well as there are 33 markers in your geo debates topics so watch out for them lol they are stressful and you only get 40 minutes to do them in the exam (which is 2.5 hours long). But anyway the trips are good, I've been on one to the docks in London and one was a residential one in Swanage which didn't really get much work done but it was a good time. Anyway that's enough for geography, i'd say I found the start of year 12 really boring and enjoyed year 11 much more but towards Christmas and new year it got better, however, I can't really say what school would be like right now due to the corona meaning I'm missing it. Also I would say that there is a massive step up from the way you answer your questions from GCSE as well as there is lots of material to cover, and for geography I think i counted around 30 case studies over the 2 years! so anyway, enjoy 6th form and hope you get good gcse results!
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I only take history but dont worry about not taking it at gcse. I suggest you watch some youtube videos or documentaries on the topics so you can get a rough idea but you dont need to worry about that. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask
Leahtaylor125
Rep:
?
(Original post by ehfos)
hi, I'm year 12, I take geography, sociology and business, I would've taken English language but my school doesn't do it, however, I went to an open day at another school and they take language and honestly the course looked great, there was lots of creativity involved. I also do OCR geography and I started off doing coasts (physical) and changing spaces making places (human) and those courses were great I loved them but they were hard, I'm now finished one of my "geographical debates" topics which was diseases and that was alright it was slightly boring and I'm also coming to the end of my 2nd human geography topic which was global connections and that's all about migrations but this is even worse than diseases, it may be due to my dull teacher but other than that I'm looking forward to starting my other geo debates topic as that sounds more interesting, however, these topics may change entirely depending on your school. But i now have to start my "NEA" which is basically 3 months of coursework and you have to think of a entirely new concept, either physical or human and you have to do lots of primary and secondary research into it, but once you get the jist i think it will be alright, it does take up 20% of your final grade though, as well as there are 33 markers in your geo debates topics so watch out for them lol they are stressful and you only get 40 minutes to do them in the exam (which is 2.5 hours long). But anyway the trips are good, I've been on one to the docks in London and one was a residential one in Swanage which didn't really get much work done but it was a good time. Anyway that's enough for geography, i'd say I found the start of year 12 really boring and enjoyed year 11 much more but towards Christmas and new year it got better, however, I can't really say what school would be like right now due to the corona meaning I'm missing it. Also I would say that there is a massive step up from the way you answer your questions from GCSE as well as there is lots of material to cover, and for geography I think i counted around 30 case studies over the 2 years! so anyway, enjoy 6th form and hope you get good gcse results
thankyou so much, I am actually taking the same topics as you x
Leahtaylor125
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I only take history but dont worry about not taking it at gcse. I suggest you watch some youtube videos or documentaries on the topics so you can get a rough idea but you dont need to worry about that. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask
thanks, x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.79%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.45%

Watched Threads