The Student Room Group

MSc or BSc

Hi everyone :smile:
I am thinking about applying to study adult nursing (ideally for this September if there are still spaces), I already have a degree (albeit unrelated) and had planned to obtain some healthcare-related-experience during these months so that I might qualify to study the MSc rather than the BSc but due to Covid-19 I have been unable to do so. I wondered if anyone knew how strict certain universities are on you having had healthcare experience to qualify to study the MSc?

Scroll to see replies

I studied at Northumbria and knew a lot of people who had other unrelated degrees but still went for the BSc. I think in order for them to meet the criteria for the masters, they did need some form of healthcare experience, and a lot of people on the MSc course were healthcare support workers prior to starting. I would go for the BSc if you don't have much/any experience, as the course is more suited to teaching you the fundamentals of nursing you'll need to know.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by H.Hampson22
I studied at Northumbria and knew a lot of people who had other unrelated degrees but still went for the BSc. I think in order for them to meet the criteria for the masters, they did need some form of healthcare experience, and a lot of people on the MSc course were healthcare support workers prior to starting. I would go for the BSc if you don't have much/any experience, as the course is more suited to teaching you the fundamentals of nursing you'll need to know.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that is really helpful ! :smile:
I have an unrelated degree also and was offered the option of MSc but I needed 500 hours of prior experience which I didn’t have so I have opted for the BSc (Teesside Uni)
Reply 4
Original post by OnlySonia
I have an unrelated degree also and was offered the option of MSc but I needed 500 hours of prior experience which I didn’t have so I have opted for the BSc (Teesside Uni)

Yes, I think I will apply for the BSC! Do you happen to know which student loans we are eligible for? I understand that we can get a £5000 grant each year and that we can apply for the loan to cover the tuition fees but can we also apply for the maintenance loan?
Original post by ZoeU8
Yes, I think I will apply for the BSC! Do you happen to know which student loans we are eligible for? I understand that we can get a £5000 grant each year and that we can apply for the loan to cover the tuition fees but can we also apply for the maintenance loan?

Yes, I’ve already applied and secured tuition fees and maintenance loan (maximum) 😊
Reply 6
Because the Masters is usually an accelerated course (shorter than the BSc), they need to have the requirement of a certain number of hours prior experience (usually 500.) This is because you need 2600hours of practical experience to register with the NMC. As the masters is shorter, there's less time for placement, so if you didn't have the 500hrs prior to starting, you wouldn't meet the 2600hrs for registration.

This is the reason I was given - I have a degree in Sound Design and start my BSc MH Nursing this September :smile:
Reply 7
Hello I know that London Southbank university and City University of London don't require you to have healthcare experience to gain admission onto their MSc courses for nursing. I have two offers from both.
Reply 8
Original post by ankairo
Hello I know that London Southbank university and City University of London don't require you to have healthcare experience to gain admission onto their MSc courses for nursing. I have two offers from both.

Ohh that's really good to know, thank you! And congratulations!
Reply 9
Original post by ankairo
Hello I know that London Southbank university and City University of London don't require you to have healthcare experience to gain admission onto their MSc courses for nursing. I have two offers from both

Hey, when did you apply, how did you find the interview process?
Reply 10
Original post by tyzar
Hey, when did you apply, how did you find the interview process?

I applied in December , The interview for city university was a group interview, basically they gave u a booklet and u have to answer questions such as health promotion, team work and skills nurses require. Then in the actual group interview its just how you interact with everyone in the group, I found it to be really good and for LSBU it was an mmi which was really good too, all my interviews were very good, i think they are still taking people I applied for the adult branch.
Reply 11
I was in the same boat! But opted for BSc so I could take the time to fully learn everything, because MSc is the same course crammed into 2 years with a research project usually, and I didn't think I'd feel confident enough with all the theory etc... rushing it all in 2 years
Reply 12
As for interviews, because of COVID-19 most universities are now doing skype or telephone interviews instead of the group interviews! I had one for RGU dual adult and mental health (got an unconditional) and they just asked why you want to do nursing, describe a photograph they sent beforehand, and what I plan on doing with the degree when I graduate! It's definitely helpful to speak about how you think people should be as independent as possible, so you should guide and assist rather than doing things for a person even if it would be quicker, and how you should always explain everything you're doing even if you think they wouldn't understand! (Think that was one of the reasons I aced my interview)
I applied for the MSc in paediatric nursing at Northumbria and have just got my interview offer today. My interview is on the 26th May via Skype. I do have previous healthcare experience luckily!
Original post by Spratt88
I applied for the MSc in paediatric nursing at Northumbria and have just got my interview offer today. My interview is on the 26th May via Skype. I do have previous healthcare experience luckily!

Good luck
I’m waiting to hear if I have an interview, I too have a few years Healthcare experience.
The APL Will be interesting though
Original post by ankairo

Is your MSc 3 yrs though?
Reply 16
Original post by Vam1970

I was also offered a place postgrad at Southbank without previous healthcare experience. The postgrad nursing option at Southbank is a PGDip not an MSc (unless you top up by adding on dissertation modules after your 2 years), so I'm unsure if that's the reason why we can do it without prior healthcare experience? I think the placements on the PGDip may be longer (around 12 weeks per placement) to squash in the hours.
I could be wrong though, I'm not entirely sure on the process.. I opted for a BSc :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Vam1970

No its 2 years for city university and 2 years for the pgdip in london southbank
Original post by moosec
I was also offered a place postgrad at Southbank without previous healthcare experience. The postgrad nursing option at Southbank is a PGDip not an MSc (unless you top up by adding on dissertation modules after your 2 years), so I'm unsure if that's the reason why we can do it without prior healthcare experience? I think the placements on the PGDip may be longer (around 12 weeks per placement) to squash in the hours.
I could be wrong though, I'm not entirely sure on the process.. I opted for a BSc :smile:

That would make sense If you made your hours up in placement, then had to do additional time for dissertation But good option for people with no health care experience
Original post by moosec

To be honest all the 3 year Bsc students I’ve talked too preferred the 3 years as it gave them time to get a grips with practical side of things and a bit more time to study.
In the first 2 years they had a study day nearly every Friday.
They also had some reading weeks timetabled in.
Im sure the MSc does not have time for this as it’s really condensed, however you are done in 2 years, ideal for people who have been working as HCA or nursing associate as they have covered basics and don’t need to repeat.
You have to go with what works best for you

Quick Reply

Latest