The Student Room Group

PGCE Schools Direct - with Uni v Training Provider best?

Hi, I've been offered places for the Primary PGCE with uni of Bedfordshire but also two with local training providers, one who uses Beds uni for the PGCE and other who uses Anglia Ruskin.

I'm leaning towards straight Beds uni but, can anyone advise on whether all with the uni of via a training provider is best?

Thanks.
Original post by PaxtonP
Hi, I've been offered places for the Primary PGCE with uni of Bedfordshire but also two with local training providers, one who uses Beds uni for the PGCE and other who uses Anglia Ruskin.

I'm leaning towards straight Beds uni but, can anyone advise on whether all with the uni of via a training provider is best?

Thanks.

Schools Direct does have some advantages- like knowing where you will be placed for most of the year. They can also help you with employment, e.g. guaranteeing you interviews within their MAT/teaching alliance. If you choose a Schools Direct option, do you get to attend the same uni taught sessions as PGCE students? Are you able to access the same uni support systems?

I think the downside of Schools Direct only really shows itself if things go badly wrong. If you have a major problem on a placement during your PGCE, the uni can move you, or at least offer you some support. This is much more difficult on a Schools Direct course, so you can end up stuck in a very difficult situation.

I think Schools Direct can work out better for most people, but if you are in the small percentage of people who end up with a very serious problem on placement, you tend to be better off if you are uni based.
Original post by PaxtonP

Thanks.

For someone straight out of uni the straight Beds course will be better.

Have you checked the Ofsted reports of these providers?
Hi,

I agree with the first reply, they give excellent advice and support you in gaining further clarity before making a definite decision.
Always remember that, regardless of which method and provider you train with, you will always have to complete your twenty four weeks on school placement, this is statutory across all teacher training courses.
Good luck with your ambitions to get into teaching
Meg
I'm doing schools direct with Bedfordshire Uni. I applied for two schools direct and one direct with the uni. My husband did schools direct with them this year. Admissions are useless but the people actually running the course are great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending