The Student Room Group

Should I visit my former teacher?

My teacher has really helped me a lot during high school and has been a massive influence during my school life, I was wondering if I should ask to visit her in the future (not now because I'm facing personal issues). But my cousin insist that I don't because it's "weird and a bit like stalking". I really don't want to lose contact with her. I just want to see her again that's all.
Original post by AsashiPysgod
My teacher has really helped me a lot during high school and has been a massive influence during my school life, I was wondering if I should ask to visit her in the future (not now because I'm facing personal issues). But my cousin insist that I don't because it's "weird and a bit like stalking". I really don't want to lose contact with her. I just want to see her again that's all.

Why do you want to see her in person?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Why do you want to see her in person?

I want to see her in person because I just want to see how she was doing. Just a way to catch up.
Reply 3
I want to see her in person because I just want to see how she was doing. Just a way to catch up.

If you've left school and she hasn't offered a way to keep in touch with her, no. And don't disturb her at school; that's her workplace and not for social visits.
Are you still in school now? (ie this academic year)

Some teachers are comfortable adding students on social media (usually the slightly more experienced staff), others aren't. I'd say that's the first step before "visit" - whatever that means.

It's fairly normal to return to your school a few months later to say hello to a few folks and let them know how you're getting on. I've done this on a few occassions myself. I've also met up socially with certain ex teachers before, but they are now retired and we were all adults.
My geography teacher said that a couple of her former students met up with her in a coffee shop once. She said it was awkward.
I know my teachers who I was close to said I should come back to the school and visit, which I did with my friends and it was lovely.
You might be crossing the boundary if you ask to meet outside of school and might make your teacher uncomfortable.
Original post by 04MR17
Are you still in school now? (ie this academic year)

Some teachers are comfortable adding students on social media (usually the slightly more experienced staff), others aren't. I'd say that's the first step before "visit" - whatever that means.

It's fairly normal to return to your school a few months later to say hello to a few folks and let them know how you're getting on. I've done this on a few occassions myself. I've also met up socially with certain ex teachers before, but they are now retired and we were all adults.

I will be doing my A Levels next year but this teacher has left our school two years ago and she's in a different school. I'm wondering whether when I'm an adult I can see visit her again. We already talked before on social media after she left our school and we get along really well. She has made such a great influence on my life.
Original post by Academicbee123
My geography teacher said that a couple of her former students met up with her in a coffee shop once. She said it was awkward.
I know my teachers who I was close to said I should come back to the school and visit, which I did with my friends and it was lovely.
You might be crossing the boundary if you ask to meet outside of school and might make your teacher uncomfortable.

Understandable. I thank you
I will be doing my A Levels next year but this teacher has left our school two years ago and she's in a different school. I'm wondering whether when I'm an adult I can see visit her again. We already talked before on social media after she left our school and we get along really well. She has made such a great influence on my life.

If you're still to do your A Levels then I don't think it would be particularly appropriate for you to approach her right now. And if you were, she'd likely say no to meeting up socially. I understand to you there doesn't seem anything wrong with it, but when you look at it on paper "teacher meets unaccompanied child out in town for a chat on a Sunday" and that's not really something that sounds so appealing to her.

Wait until you've got through your A Levels. Then reconsider this question.

Quick Reply

Latest