How to get grade 8/9 in English Language or Literature ?!

Watch
Jennifer_6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in year 10 (doing my GCSEs in 2021) and wanted to start making my analysis grade 8/9 level and was wondering how I can achieve top grades in both English language and literature.

I’m doing English lit AQA studying :
Christmas Carol
Inspector calls
Romeo and Juliet
I’m doing power & conflict cluster of poems.
If anyone has any grade 8/9 pieces of writing they have and how they got there I would love the advice.
Thanks
Last edited by Jennifer_6; 1 year ago
username5195672
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dunno abt the others as i did jekyl and hyde + macbeth

an inspector calls: spell the author's name right
it's all about the order and sense of morality, push your points in and be synoptic
ao2 language form and context <- structure it, but don't spend too long on the intro, go straight into answering the question
actually answer the question and don't go off on a tangent
historical context marks <- add em in, think about the time frame, " absolutely unsinkable" complacency + how younger generation's open to change

for poems only figure out a few quotes which are comparative and link with other poems

use mr bruff, mr salles

getting a 9/8 is all abt writing fluently and clinically whilst answering the question
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alpha Slayer)
dunno abt the others as i did jekyl and hyde + macbeth

an inspector calls: spell the author's name right
it's all about the order and sense of morality, push your points in and be synoptic
ao2 language form and context <- structure it, but don't spend too long on the intro, go straight into answering the question
actually answer the question and don't go off on a tangent
historical context marks <- add em in, think about the time frame, " absolutely unsinkable" complacency + how younger generation's open to change

for poems only figure out a few quotes which are comparative and link with other poems

use mr bruff, mr salles

getting a 9/8 is all abt writing fluently and clinically whilst answering the
I’ll try Mr salles and go from there. Thank you so much.
Last edited by Jennifer_6; 1 year ago
Anonymous36617
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jennifer_6)
I’m currently in year 10 (doing my GCSEs in 2021) and wanted to start making my analysis grade 8/9 level and was wondering how I can achieve top grades in both English language and literature.

Christmas Carol
Inspector calls
Romeo and Juliet
If anyone has any grade 8/9 pieces of writing they have and how they got there I would love the advice.
Thanks
Hi, I have studied A Level English Literature and I have also studied the texts that you have listed. I would be happy to help, I am currently offering English tuition online. This would entail of analysing your texts - language and structural features, I will share essays that I have written which are grade 9 exemplars which would enable you to see you need to work on. Drop a private message for further information : )
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
Oh my days!! Thank you so much that would be great I will private message you and go from there .
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think looking at top-mark exemplars are is the best way to go about this. As someone who wasn't too far off full marks in both English literature and English language at GCSE, I'd suggest developing a personal writing style and learning how to analyse texts in your own way, without the use of other textbooks and resources.
Flora224
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go on Youtube and put EnglishWithSim! Especially if you're doing the power and conflict cluster and ESP if you wanna get a grade 9! She also takes messages and comments on her twitter (I think she's trying to build up her channel lol). I messaged her to do a Tissue analysis which came out today! She's rly good and does each video in detail and with summary notes at the end of each slide!!!!! xoxox
charlottebayliss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Christmas Carol
Inspector calls
Romeo and Juliet
If anyone has any grade 8/9 pieces of writing they have and how they got there I would love the advice
I take A- level Lit and I think I can help! I didn’t do any of the same texts as you but the rules still apply, I received Grade 9 in both English Literature and English Language. Although I think some of this came down to a little bit of natural ability and analysis generally comes quite easy to me, there are a few tips I think might help!
1) language and structure: Learn the devices and know what they do - English Lang Gcse is literally designed around understanding the devices that writers use to shape their language and you must explore all avenues of these in your essay questions. In English lit, lexical device’s are your proof to back up the points your making.
STRUCTURE IS IMPORTANT - I always focused a lot on structural effects in my Lit ( and Lang) exams. Many students forget about structure, so you can stand out by discussing it in depth.
2) timing - exam practise is the key thing you should be revising. Instead of spending lots of time revising the plot of Romeo and Juliet do practise exam questions as the bulk of your revision and you are certified to improve. Even hand extra ones in to your teacher to mark. You must give even amounts of time to all questions. Question 4 is also one of the most important questions on both English Lang as it is overlooked by many pupils.
3) originality - abandon the CGP textbook! The key to getting a 9 is impressing the examiner. You need to hit band 5 which required you to be PERCEPTIVE. Having perceptive ideas in your writing means making your work stand out by include your own critical ideas /develop a thesis in your answer. They read stacks of exams with the same monotonous lines from revision guides. They will award marks for writing that is original as well as excellent. Use Mr Bruff as his tutorials teach to a high level and give you original perspectives.
4) BE FLEXIBLE - make sure you have revised everything. This can be done by planning essays on every possible question. For poetry learn at least 4-5 devices for each one ( both Lang and Struc) and which ones compare. Students can call short if they only know a certain text very well and abandon another by missing out a question. NEVER miss out a question. Your asking to get dropped a mark band then. Understand every text very well.
Last edited by charlottebayliss; 1 year ago
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flora224)
Go on Youtube and put EnglishWithSim! Especially if you're doing the power and conflict cluster and ESP if you wanna get a grade 9! She also takes messages and comments on her twitter (I think she's trying to build up her channel lol). I messaged her to do a Tissue analysis which came out today! She's rly good and does each video in detail and with summary notes at the end of each slide!!!!! xoxox
thank you so much I’ll try and see what she’s like and try to create more in depth analysis’
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I don't think looking at top-mark exemplars are is the best way to go about this. As someone who wasn't too far off full marks in both English literature and English language at GCSE, I'd suggest developing a personal writing style and learning how to analyse texts in your own way, without the use of other textbooks and resources.
How did you begin to do this ?
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlottebayliss)
I take A- level Lit and I think I can help! I didn’t do any of the same texts as you but the rules still apply, I received Grade 9 in both English Literature and English Language. Although I think some of this came down to a little bit of natural ability and analysis generally comes quite easy to me, there are a few tips I think might help!
1) language and structure: Learn the devices and know what they do - English Lang Gcse is literally designed around understanding the devices that writers use to shape their language and you must explore all avenues of these in your essay questions. In English lit, lexical devises are your proof to back up the points your making.
STRUCTURE IS IMPORTANT - I always focused a lot on structural effects in my Lit ( and Lang) exams. Many students forget about structure, so you can stand out by discussing it in depth.
2) timing - exam practise is the key thing you should be revising. Instead of spending lots of time revising the plot of Romeo and Juliet do practise exam questions as the bulk of your revision and you are certified to improve. Even hand extra ones in to your teacher to mark. You must give even amounts of time to all questions. Question 4 is also one of the most important questions on both English Lang as it is overlooked by many pupils.
3) originality - abandon the CGP textbook! The key to getting a 9 is impressing the examiner. You need to hit band 5 which required you to be PERCEPTIVE. Having perceptive ideas in your writing means making your work stand out by include your own critical ideas /develop a thesis in your answer. They read stacks of exams with the same monotonous lines from revision guides. They will award marks for writing that is original as well as excellent. Use Mr Bruff as his tutorials teach to a high level and give you original perspectives.
4) BE FLEXIBLE - make sure you have revised everything. This can be done by planning essays on every possible question. For poetry learn at least 4-5 devices for each one ( both Lang and Struc) and which ones compare. Students can call short if they only know a certain text very well and abandon another by missing out a question. NEVER miss out a question. Your asking to get dropped a mark band then. Understand every text very well.
Wow - thank you so much.I think I’m going to start sending paragraphs to my teachers in order to see where I am, where I’m going wrong and how I can improve. Writing about structure is something I struggle with and more stronger on analysing the language because I never know what to write about structure and the effect. With poetry I’ll learn/plan the power & conflict cluster in advance so if any poems were to come up I could compare in depth.

I’m considering doing English lit as an a-level and was wondering what the workload was like and what you look at ?
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How did you begin to do this ?
There are a few ways, but I think it'll be easier to do it if you PM me.

Anyway, if you want exemplars, here are some of mine:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5904442
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 year ago
charlottebayliss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow - thank you so much.I think I’m going to start sending paragraphs to my teachers in order to see where I am, where I’m going wrong and how I can improve. Writing about structure is something I struggle with and more stronger on analysing the language because I never know what to write about structure and the effect. With poetry I’ll learn/plan the power & conflict cluster in advance so if any poems were to come up I could compare in depth.

I’m considering doing English lit as an a-level and was wondering what the workload was like and what you look at ?
That’s great! I agree practising your essays in paragraphs will be a big benefit as they are quicker for the teachers to mark in extra time and give your chance to practise introductions, main body and conclusion.
And yes, students tend to find structure harder than language although I don’t understand why!! The structure of writing is like a framework or a scaffold of which the writer shapes the entire prose/poetry around. It’s incredibly important in poetry analysis as well. There’s an entire two questions dedicated to it on Eng Lang !Again with devices your teacher should point them out to you, but to get 9’s you might need to go away a figure them out. There’s a chart on the exam board website I remember receiving with a bunch of them (Beginnings, Endings, Cyclicals, zoom in zoom out focus, enjambment and caesura for poetry). A building cannot be built without scaffolding otherwise it would fall down. In the same way, a writer cannot mould a text without creating structure to build it around. Especially for extract questions. Start with the analysis of beginning and endings if your struggling for devices. You must explore the SIGNIFICANCE of these devices to the overarching effect the writer is trying to create. Writers do everything deliberately!!
Finally, if you love English , you’ll enjoy English lit a level . At A-Level it becomes more about engaging critically with texts which can be both challenging and interesting. With English, the workload is as much as you want it to be. To get the highest marks, you must wider read around your texts and understand them very well. But some revision guides for a head start. There isn’t necessarily a large workload, it depends on how much homework you get or how much reading at home. We finished most of our texts in class and got set essays. If they set you an essay you should get about a week.
charlottebayliss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s great! I agree practising your essays in paragraphs will be a big benefit as they are quicker for the teachers to mark in extra time and give your chance to practise introductions, main body and conclusion.
And yes, students tend to find structure harder than language although I don’t understand why!! The structure of writing is like a framework or a scaffold of which the writer shapes the entire prose/poetry around. It’s incredibly important in poetry analysis as well. There’s an entire two questions dedicated to it on Eng Lang !Again with devices your teacher should point them out to you, but to get 9’s you might need to go away a figure them out. There’s a chart on the exam board website I remember receiving with a bunch of them (Beginnings, Endings, Cyclicals, zoom in zoom out focus, enjambment and caesura for poetry). A building cannot be built without scaffolding otherwise it would fall down. In the same way, a writer cannot mould a text without creating structure to build it around. Especially for extract questions. Start with the analysis of beginning and endings if your struggling for devices. You must explore the SIGNIFICANCE of these devices to the overarching effect the writer is trying to create. Writers do everything deliberately!!
Finally, if you love English , you’ll enjoy English lit a level . At A-Level it becomes more about engaging critically with texts which can be both challenging and interesting. With English, the workload is as much as you want it to be. To get the highest marks, you must wider read around your texts and understand them very well. But some revision guides for a head start. There isn’t necessarily a large workload, it depends on how much homework you get or how much reading at home. We finished most of our texts in class and got set essays. If they set you an essay you should get about a week.
I studied Othello, Tess of the durbervilles and death of a salesman for the tragedy paper and the kite runner, a dolls house and William Blake’s poetry for Political protest writing. Both very broad and interesting themes!!!
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
There are a few ways, but I think it'll be easier to do it if you PM me.

Anyway, if you want exemplars, here are some of mine:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5904442
Thanks you - I’ll have a look at your examplars as seeing a real paper and response can show me what I really need to do to get those top grades .I’ll pm you aswell.
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
Thank you so much once again for the advice I’m really gonna start putting the effort of looking for these structure and techniques outside of school (starting with ur suggestions as a base) in order to get those high grades and putting them into my essays especially as a teacher is not always able to go through the top grade content in the little lesson time we have 😌

English lit is a top contender on my a level choices along with history
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
I studied Othello, Tess of the durbervilles and death of a salesman for the tragedy paper and the kite runner, a dolls house and William Blake’s poetry for Political protest writing. Both very broad and interesting themes!!!
What exam board is this ?
charlottebayliss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What exam board is this ?
AQA
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i achieved full marks in paper 2 english literature AQA - if you want a copy of my paper pm me
Jennifer_6
Rep:
?
Oh okay, thank you that’s great.I’ll pm you now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads