The Student Room Group

Safety Universities

I was just wondering how many safety universities one should apply to. I was looking to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh and kings but when i told my tutor she told me that it was very risky and i should apply to at least 2 ‘safety’ universities. After thinking about it, i feel that if i don’t get offers from any of the above mentioned universities then i might as well take a gap year, get some work experience and apply again next cycle because, ideally, those are the only universities i want to study at. Im on track for A*A*A predicted grades.

I guess my question is, should i apply to some safety universities or should i ‘go big or go home’ as they say, and only apply to those universities and risk getting no offers?
Reply 1
I had 2 safeties and they were 1 grade all below my predicted so in your case your safety should be AAB. That’s what my school recommended. Also you need to think how likely you are to get those grades.
dont worry about a gap year because you’ll defo get into at least 1 and it’s good that you like all 5 choices.
out of interest what subject are you studying?
Original post by xXThEsMarTBaNanA
I was just wondering how many safety universities one should apply to. I was looking to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh and kings but when i told my tutor she told me that it was very risky and i should apply to at least 2 ‘safety’ universities. After thinking about it, i feel that if i don’t get offers from any of the above mentioned universities then i might as well take a gap year, get some work experience and apply again next cycle because, ideally, those are the only universities i want to study at. Im on track for A*A*A predicted grades.

I guess my question is, should i apply to some safety universities or should i ‘go big or go home’ as they say, and only apply to those universities and risk getting no offers?

One should be sufficient. Any university that has lower requirements than your predictions is virtually certain to make you an offer.
My personal view is to go for 2 to allow you a choice although if you are happy to go there 1 safety choice should be enough. As your school has correctly advised you do not go for 5 risky choices. Every year students come on here having had 5 rejections and are absolutely devastated. Make sure you are not one of them. There used to be a sticky on here How to avoid 5 rejections which has gone missing.
Original post by swanseajack1
My personal view is to go for 2 to allow you a choice although if you are happy to go there 1 safety choice should be enough. As your school has correctly advised you do not go for 5 risky choices. Every year students come on here having had 5 rejections and are absolutely devastated. Make sure you are not one of them. There used to be a sticky on here How to avoid 5 rejections which has gone missing.

@harrysbar can you or somebody look into bringing this back
Reply 5
Original post by PL1234
I had 2 safeties and they were 1 grade all below my predicted so in your case your safety should be AAB. That’s what my school recommended. Also you need to think how likely you are to get those grades.
dont worry about a gap year because you’ll defo get into at least 1 and it’s good that you like all 5 choices.
out of interest what subject are you studying?

I’m studying Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I’m also due to get a grade this summer for AS further maths. I want to study biochemistry at university.
I had one safety option
Reply 7
Original post by xXThEsMarTBaNanA
I’m studying Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I’m also due to get a grade this summer for AS further maths. I want to study biochemistry at university.

I think the grades for imperial at biochemistry aren’t the Highest (I got A*A*A as my offer) so you should be fine to do it. If you want to apply all 5 go for it otherwise if you’re anxious then take a random 5th which you know you’ll get.

Quick Reply