The Student Room Group

Do Indians have to have arranged marriages?

I fancy this boy. He’s Indian ( Hindu ) do they still have to have arranged marriages in this day and age? His family seem to wear all the Indian gear so maybe they’re strict?
Hm how old are you? maybe get to know the guy and find out through him? I was seeing an Indian guy who’s parents were very religious but he was not and he said he plans to marry a white non religious girl with no arrangement 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 2
Hi, I’m Indian and also Muslim and my family is quite relaxed on it. Meaning If we want one then we can have one but if we don’t ask for one then they assume we will find our own spouses. I guess everyone’s different and it depends on each person and their culture etc
Yeah so arranged marriages are still a thing. Honestly, it depends on the parents. I'd say my parents are really calm and as long as I'm happy and the guy is good they will be okay with it. Other parents, maybe not so much. If you're just at that "fancying" stage then I don't think you need to be planning thaaaat far...
Well it usually works 2 ways

1) you find a girl yourself that is of the same religion and then you tell your parents and hope they agree
2) you get forced to marry someone regardless if you like them or not because its "best" for tradition which means it's best for money and honor most times
Gaan chus.. gadheri! Kaapra saathe su lageh!?
Original post by Anonymous
I fancy this boy. He’s Indian ( Hindu ) do they still have to have arranged marriages in this day and age? His family seem to wear all the Indian gear so maybe they’re strict?

Um... no. It's not really just an Indian thing either, plenty of other cultures have arranged marriages, happens in the US too for example. Just because they embrace their culture doesn't mean they do old fashioned stuff like arranged marriages. And neither is it a big thing in Hinduism too. Take it from me, I'm half Indian and a Hindu and I have never ever heard of a family outside (or anyone my age inside) of India forcing an arranged marriage on their kids. If you really wanna know I suggest getting to know the culture properly, for example what is the "Indian gear"? Just wearing saris and stuff like that won't suggest his family is strict. Wearing a bindi, not eating beef or being a vegitarian are things that could suggest the family is strict. Even so, doing all these things doesn't mean they'll be extreme like forcing arranged marriages on their kids or stuff like that.
Reply 7
Original post by lirjonker
Um... no. It's not really just an Indian thing either, plenty of other cultures have arranged marriages, happens in the US too for example. Just because they embrace their culture doesn't mean they do old fashioned stuff like arranged marriages. And neither is it a big thing in Hinduism too. Take it from me, I'm half Indian and a Hindu and I have never ever heard of a family outside (or anyone my age inside) of India forcing an arranged marriage on their kids. If you really wanna know I suggest getting to know the culture properly, for example what is the "Indian gear"? Just wearing saris and stuff like that won't suggest his family is strict. Wearing a bindi, not eating beef or being a vegitarian are things that could suggest the family is strict. Even so, doing all these things doesn't mean they'll be extreme like forcing arranged marriages on their kids or stuff like that.

Sorry I realised I phrased that really badly. Yes I meant sari’s. Ok that’s good to know thank you! I think his sister has had an arranger marriage though. Does it differentiate between girls and boys?
Reply 8
Yeah so arranged marriages are still a thing. Honestly, it depends on the parents. I'd say my parents are really calm and as long as I'm happy and the guy is good they will be okay with it. Other parents, maybe not so much. If you're just at that "fancying" stage then I don't think you need to be planning thaaaat far...

Hahaha true. Look at me planning the wedding 🤣
Sorry I realised I phrased that really badly. Yes I meant sari’s. Ok that’s good to know thank you! I think his sister has had an arranger marriage though. Does it differentiate between girls and boys?

Not really... although the system of getting in an arranged marriage is different for each gender, the chances of getting in one are pretty much the same for both. But if his sister has had an arranged marriage then that’s a different story! Check if that’s true because it’s likely he will be in an arranged marriage if his sister was forced into it rather than choosing to get into that type of marriage. If you wanna nab the guy you should get on the radar for the parents by flexing a few academic achievements here an there, 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending