The Student Room Group

How to revise during this pandemic

I have an exam in 3 weeks and have done absolutely no revision, my uni didn’t give no extensions so I was just working on my essays and I just think 3 weeks is not enough time at all as I’m usually the type to have my **** together but I don’t have motivation at all and just feel so stressed and anxious because of this virus like most people, I haven’t even tried to revise, is anyone the same and if not do you have any tips on what I can do to revise in 3 weeks, It’s a law exam but at a foundation level so it’s not too bad but I know nothing !!!! Also to add I’m also fasting (Ramadan) so I’m literally not sleeping until 4-5am and then waking up so late so yeah lol, I’d appreciate if you have any tips on how to revise effectively and achieve a good / decent grade
First I think u need to start a routine so make a timetable not too detailed but just a simple timetable so you can fit sleep in and studying. I am fasting too so I understand you but focus on revising when you have most energy so after iftaar to till fajr and then maybe go to seep or revise when u first wake up. Drink lots of water when you can and just make lots of dua it is ramadan after all. Hopefully that helps.
Maybe try revision podcasts or youtube?
Hi there!I'm in my final year of uni and am also struggling with motivation. I really don't like working from home, so I started a study-stream on Twitch (twitch.tv/andrumpleteazer) to give myself motivation and to help other people work at home. Every weekday at 11am I work for 50min and take a 10min break for around 3hrs. It's really helped me keep a schedule and I've make a lot of progress! If you like, you could check out my channel and tune in to study with me:smile:
@Courtney146 can we discuss more of this in private messaging system... please
Original post by Courtney146
I have an exam in 3 weeks and have done absolutely no revision, my uni didn’t give no extensions so I was just working on my essays and I just think 3 weeks is not enough time at all as I’m usually the type to have my **** together but I don’t have motivation at all and just feel so stressed and anxious because of this virus like most people, I haven’t even tried to revise, is anyone the same and if not do you have any tips on what I can do to revise in 3 weeks, It’s a law exam but at a foundation level so it’s not too bad but I know nothing !!!! Also to add I’m also fasting (Ramadan) so I’m literally not sleeping until 4-5am and then waking up so late so yeah lol, I’d appreciate if you have any tips on how to revise effectively and achieve a good / decent grade

Hi Courtney146,

I believe you have 3 key issues
Issue 1: you don't know how to get out of overwhelming state quickly
Issue 2: You don't know How to Reduce the perceived difficult before you start
Issue 3: You don't know how to engage smoothly with something you don't like

Issue 1: Too much regret are holding you back
You have accumulated too much resentment, guilt, and regret over yourself. Moreover, you are ruminating in the past.
This combines holding you back a lot and it is taken place behind the scene.
You need to let go of self-criticism quickly.
For that there are three effective methods:

Technic 1 how to get out of overwhelming state quickly
When you are overwhelmed and feel paralyzed because everything seems an urgent priority, instead of trying to figure in your mind what your next move has to be, do this:

Step 1: pivot your thinking from the future to the past,
Step 2: then look at non-creative tasks you naturally dislike
Step.3: pick up the one you are sure you can finish within 5-10 min.

That will give you an instant sense of clarity to proceed further.

Eg. I just have 2 hours left. I feel guilty thinking about writing because I did not do it yesterday.

I am thinking about prospecting,
I have a meeting to prepare.
I feel guilty and do not know what to tackle first. Enough time is not left to finish those I would like to start with.

Step 1: I look at the past
Step 2: I look at tasks I naturally dislike: processing paper, data entry. Share my monthly revenue to Ursaaf. I remember the I was supposed to do it 1 week ago.
Step 3: I visit the Ursaaf website, login, and do it in less than 5 min.

Pressure on my shoulder is reduced automatically. Now my next move is evident.
I challenge you to apply this simple tactic today as soon as you feel overwhelmed.

Technic 2: Replace Guilt with Self-Compassion
Step 1: Say " I apologize for missing so much opportunity to work"
Step 2: mentally review each previous times you planned to work and didn't. Agree it was a mistake

Technic 3: Restart doing SPort smoothly.
Since you are in Ramadam go easy, just running slowly 500 meters- can be enough.
It will have 2 quick impacts.
first, it will reduce your negative emotions drastically.
Secondly, It will reset and trigger your inner self again so you can easily activate tapping into the available energy you are not using.
I greatly recommend you do it first thing in the day if you want to make sure your day will be productive.

Issue 2: You don't know How to Reduce the perceived difficult before you start
When you think about completing revising, the thought that immediately pop-ups are " I don't have time", " It is hard ", " I have better things to do".
Your unconscious mind is reluctant to do it even if you consciously know it is important.
so you need to reduce the mental distance between you and the image of taking action.

Technic 1: Focus on what you "love"
When you are thinking about doing something you know you should do and you find it boring, instead of shifting your mind to something else, do this:

Among all the revisions you have to complete, which topic do you like?
Among the topics you don't like, what is the part you like?
For example, If you like the topic "History", doubling down on starting completing the "History" assignment first.
If what you like within "History" is discovering new facts, but you find memorizing dates boring, put your mental focus on the discovery part only. This will reduce the negative association you have towards the topic "history".

Technic 2: Apply visualization technique to this part.
When you are thinking about doing something you know you should do and you don’t like it, instead of shifting your mind to something else, do this

Step 1 Picture yourself being on the place where you are supposed to be working on that, gathering all the material necessary, reflecting on what the first step could be, start executing

step 2: Imagine how it becomes hard, and it hurts/feels boring

step 3: Picture yourself succeeding., experiencing the joy of having accomplished the task.

Technic 3: Digest passive content about "revising for at least 2 consecutive days "
see a youtube video about that, read blog posts.
The aim is not to get new information. The point is to get your unconscious mind to start acknowledging doing this task as a possibility again.
Don't be surprised. As easy as it sounds you might even find it difficult to just look a 5-minute video if your resistance is so high..

Issue 3: You don't know how to engage smoothly with something you don't like
a-Reward yourself before you start

drinking a coffee/ tee,/ juice, take a yogurt, eat fruit, chips just before engaging revising science. but don't end the reward before you finish working.

You will observe how suddenly your resistance to work disappears.

b- do a piece of work you doesn't like just before something you like

Because you have a positive association with those things, when you think " history" a good image pops up in your mind. It becomes easier to engage in what you don't like.

Do you like history, then spent 5 to 10 min working on science before engaging in history.

Courage. Don't Back Down. You can still have good grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending