dsidi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
I'm in year 12 at the moment, doing a levels in maths, economics and history. I got 10 grade 9s and 1 grade 8 at GCSE.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to apply to LSE for 2 courses e.g. economic history and economics, as well as economic history.
Is it possible to get offers in both if I apply for them, or would they give me the least competitive course out of the two. What about if the courses I applied to were through different departments e.g. history, as well as economic history? Would this make a difference?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance xo
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I believe LSE have a policy of only making an offer for one course per candidate so you won't potentially get offers for both. They also scrutinise personal statements quite closely and failing to engage with the course, or in the case of joint honours courses both sides of the course, can be reason to reject an application. I would recommend choosing one course and making your application as competitive as possible for that single course, as applying to several will probably just result in an instant rejection from one for not being relevant enough in your personal statement, and may dilute your PS too much for the other course anyway.
dsidi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I believe LSE have a policy of only making an offer for one course per candidate so you won't potentially get offers for both. They also scrutinise personal statements quite closely and failing to engage with the course, or in the case of joint honours courses both sides of the course, can be reason to reject an application. I would recommend choosing one course and making your application as competitive as possible for that single course, as applying to several will probably just result in an instant rejection from one for not being relevant enough in your personal statement, and may dilute your PS too much for the other course anyway.
Thanks for your advice
Only thing is I'm planning to apply to Oxf for either history and econ or Econ and management. But I think I could make my personal statement work for this combo with econ history&Econ joint honours, econ history single honours, or even pure history (if I apply for H&e at Oxf), as there is quite a lot of overlap between the courses. and oxf don't prioritise the personal statement that much.
So if what you're saying is correct, I'll have to decide soon. Only thing is, the courses are so similar I don't know which one to choose! 😂
CompSciEnth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
Hi,
I'm in year 12 at the moment, doing a levels in maths, economics and history. I got 10 grade 9s and 1 grade 8 at GCSE.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to apply to LSE for 2 courses e.g. economic history and economics, as well as economic history.
Is it possible to get offers in both if I apply for them, or would they give me the least competitive course out of the two. What about if the courses I applied to were through different departments e.g. history, as well as economic history? Would this make a difference?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance xo
I'd be careful about doing that unless the courses are very very similar. For example, for me universities want to see that I live, breathe and dream computer science. I'm going to apply to Computer Science and Computer Science with Business Studies at the same University.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
Thanks for your advice
Only thing is I'm planning to apply to Oxf for either history and econ or Econ and management. But I think I could make my personal statement work for this combo with econ history&Econ joint honours, econ history single honours, or even pure history (if I apply for H&e at Oxf), as there is quite a lot of overlap between the courses. and oxf don't prioritise the personal statement that much.
So if what you're saying is correct, I'll have to decide soon. Only thing is, the courses are so similar I don't know which one to choose! 😂
History & Economics at Oxford is basically a tripartite subject in history, economics, and economic history - you're required to take an economic history paper for finals, and will normally be expected to write your dissertation on some aspect of economic history as I understand. My impression is you can also write about economic history aspects in the outline papers. There's also a special economic history option only available to HEco students for prelims (first year). So a PS tailored to EH & Econ for LSE should be fine for Oxford HEco, plus as you say the personal statement isn't as critical for Oxford as for LSE (as Oxford also have the HAT/TSA and interview to look at).

The two LSE courses aren't really that similar, other than the core EH papers, in the sense that the single honours EH course only includes a single economics paper; you probably won't be able to take one as an outside option in second year as you don't do any mathematical/quantitative methods courses in first year in single honours EH. The Econ & EH course drops a bunch of the optional EH papers for the core econ papers. Essentially, the question for the LSE courses is (a little obviously perhaps), do you want to do economics or not? If yes, Econ & EH. If no, single honours EH. The econ & EH course is probably more similar to HEco at Oxford.

I'd recommend looking at the programme regulations for the courses here:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...micHistory.htm
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...micHistory.htm
https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/...n/studentview/ (the prelims regulations are linked on that page; the handbook is also available on the history department page somewhere; the history department page also course descriptions for most of the papers usually offered on the history side).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed