The Student Room Group

Does degree choice matter?

Does it matter whether I choose to do Biological Sciences , Accounting and Finance or Psychology ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomquestion
Does it matter whether I choose to do Biological Sciences , Accounting and Finance or Psychology ?

I'd say it depends on what you want to in the future.
Depends. What career are you aiming to pursue?
Original post by CompSciEnth
I'd say it depends on what you want to in the future.

Say for Finance careers?
Say for Finance careers?

doesn’t really matter but obvs accounting n finance would give u tha edge
username checks out

Say for Finance careers?

Again, you have to be specific. For positions in say, investment banking you'll probably have trouble getting a position with a big bank if your degree is in Psychology.
Original post by CompSciEnth
Again, you have to be specific. For positions in say, investment banking you'll probably have trouble getting a position with a big bank if your degree is in Psychology.

Wb with a Biological Sciences degree?
What kind of career do you want to pursue in the future? If you can figure that out, then you'll be able to think more about the course you're going to study.

Either choose a degree based on your interests or on your career aspirations. We cannot help you unless you tell us what you're looking for. There's loads of things you can do with different degrees -- Google will tell you that.
Original post by dumpling_eater
What kind of career do you want to pursue in the future? If you can figure that out, then you'll be able to think more about the course you're going to study.

Either choose a degree based on your interests or on your career aspirations. We cannot help you unless you tell us what you're looking for. There's loads of things you can do with different degrees -- Google will tell you that.

I want to teach Biology , so so Biological Sciences degree.
But I want to see if I can go into finance with this too
I want to teach Biology , so so Biological Sciences degree.
But I want to see if I can go into finance with this too

You absolutely cannot teach Biology with a Finance degree, you need a biological sciences/science equivalent degree (e.g. Genetics, Biomed, Molecular Med, Microbiology etc.).

If you want to teach Biology, get a Biological Sciences degree. Why are you considering a Finance degree? Does Finance and Accounting interest you more than Biology? If so, go for a Finance degree instead and go down the career path in banking/financial analysis.

Depends, but yes if you have already bought the text books.
If you arent very good at one that would make a difference.
If you are looking for a high quotient of members of the opposite sex, then degree choice could make a student.
If you want a certain career, then choosing a degree which helps you might make a difference.
I would watch out for psychology its highly saturated.

Did you give the matter any thought or even talk to the family pet before you decided to post?
You absolutely cannot teach Biology with a Finance degree, you need a biological sciences/science equivalent degree (e.g. Genetics, Biomed, Molecular Med, Microbiology etc.).

If you want to teach Biology, get a Biological Sciences degree. Why are you considering a Finance degree? Does Finance and Accounting interest you more than Biology? If so, go for a Finance degree instead and go down the career path in banking/financial analysis.

No I meant

If I change my mind on teaching
Will I be able to go into Finance with a Bio degree
You may find that the investment banking and consulting board has advice more directed to banking/ high finance jobs.
No I meant

If I change my mind on teaching
Will I be able to go into Finance with a Bio degree

If you get a 1st in your Biological Sciences/Biomed degree from a top univeristy, investment banks and other financial institutions can choose to hire you because you have a strong academic record from a top university. HOWEVER, it is very unlikely that you'll get into the field of finance with a Biology degree alone. You'll either need to pursue further education or a conversion course or take up financing apprenticeships/other equivalent to go into finance if you decide to stop teaching Biology.

Are you currently in university or are you still in college/sixth form? What's made you change your mind between teaching Biology versus a career finance?
If you get a 1st in your Biological Sciences/Biomed degree from a top univeristy, investment banks and other financial institutions can choose to hire you because you have a strong academic record from a top university. HOWEVER, it is very unlikely that you'll get into the field of finance with a Biology degree alone. You'll either need to pursue further education or a conversion course or take up financing apprenticeships/other equivalent to go into finance if you decide to stop teaching Biology.

Are you currently in university or are you still in college/sixth form? What's made you change your mind between teaching Biology versus a career finance?

I heard that you can get into the finance sector with any degree, but with work experience !

Well, I want to choose a degree which has alter joe career prospects too, which pay wel!

Why go for masters degrees or apprenticeships? Wouldnt the OP just apply for grad scheme jobs?
I heard that you can get into the finance sector with any degree, but with work experience !

Well, I want to choose a degree which has alter joe career prospects too, which pay wel!

Look mate, if you don't know what you want to do yet as a future career then pick a degree that you're interested in or a degree that tailors the closest to your interests. And if you're undecided, then take a gap year to get some work experience or volunteering and that will help you decide.

Any degree can have alternative career prospects, and if you climb high enough the professional ladder you'll get a good, well paid job. Focus on what you want to study, not a degree that will get you the most money.
Look mate, if you don't know what you want to do yet as a future career then pick a degree that you're interested in or a degree that tailors the closest to your interests. And if you're undecided, then take a gap year to get some work experience or volunteering and that will help you decide.

Any degree can have alternative career prospects, and if you climb high enough the professional ladder you'll get a good, well paid job. Focus on what you want to study, not a degree that will get you the most money.

Thanks man !!
Needed to hear this!
I agree absolutely , but seeing horror stories of unemployment after a degree in Biology scares me so much !
Are you currently in uni or no?

Thanks man !!
Needed to hear this!
I agree absolutely , but seeing horror stories of unemployment after a degree in Biology scares me so much !

Quick Reply

Latest