The Student Room Group

Can you use first person in introduction and conclusion?

For my diss idk whether I can say my aim is to research....’ or I am to approach this issue in three chapters’

Can I say In this dissertation?’ It just feel unprofessional
You can use first person, but very sparingly. For my dissertation, I only used first person "I" in my acknowledgements section to thank my lab supervisors, lab supervisor, etc. for their help in the project.

First person should only be used in metadiscourse (aka when a writer refers to themselves or summarizes their work and thinking process)

You could instead say things like "The aim of this study was to investigate..." etc. Definitely aim to write in third person, and use an impassive academic style of writing.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You can use first person, but very sparingly. For my dissertation, I only used first person "I" in my acknowledgements section to thank my lab supervisors, lab supervisor, etc. for their help in the project.

First person should only be used in metadiscourse (aka when a writer refers to themselves or summarizes their work and thinking process)

You could instead say things like "The aim of this study was to investigate..." etc. Definitely aim to write in third person, and use an impassive academic style of writing.

Perfect thank you!
Subject? Not all are the same in regards to this.
For my diss idk whether I can say my aim is to research....’ or I am to approach this issue in three chapters’

It depends on the discipline. I studied Linguistics, and we were told to never use first person in essays or our dissertation.

Also, 'in this dissertation' sounds too clunky - 'this project' or 'this research' is better, but use very sparingly.

Hi

This will depend on what course you are studying, so it is best to check with your course tutors if you can use first person or not. For my course we have been told that we should not use first person at all in essays or assignments.

Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending