The Student Room Group

BTEC

Hey Guys !
Me and my Family moved to UK just a few months ago. My main purpose to come here was obviously good Education. I wanted to do A levels but I haven't done gcse .I just got to know that colleges don't take students without gcse for A levels .I now can't even sit in GCSE as I am above 16 .So I am now forced to do Btec and I am super confused .
I have a few questions:

.1) can I study chartered accountancy ,law after doing btec ..? If yes ..then in which subject shall I do btec..Business etc?

.2) I will sit in b tec level 3 ..but If i want to do gcse in maths and english ...I would have to sit in level 2...will be a good idea to do GCSE's in maths and english ...will they be helpful.?

I have literally ZERO knowledge on this and I would really appreciate if you guys help .

Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ahmed 002
Hey Guys !
Me and my Family moved to UK just a few months ago. My main purpose to come here was obviously good Education. I wanted to do A levels but I haven't done gcse .I just got to know that colleges don't take students without gcse for A levels .I now can't even sit in GCSE as I am above 16 .So I am now forced to do Btec and I am super confused .
I have a few questions:

.1) can I study chartered accountancy ,law after doing btec ..? If yes ..then in which subject shall I do btec..Business etc?

.2) I will sit in b tec level 3 ..but If i want to do gcse in maths and english ...I would have to sit in level 2...will be a good idea to do GCSE's in maths and english ...will they be helpful.?

I have literally ZERO knowledge on this and I would really appreciate if you guys help .

Thank you.

Hi! I'm currently doing a BTEC in Business and I think that this would be the right subject for you. some people in my class are going to uni next year to study law, politics, accountancy, etc. :smile: however, in order to get a place in uni or even get a job, you're gonna have to pass maths and English GCSE. they normally teach students up to a C grade, however, if they see that you are doing well or if your uni degree requires a higher grade, you have to option to study for B and A grades. BTEC schools normally teach these subjects, as it is compulsory that you pass them, or you'll have a very low chance of getting a job afterwards :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much ....

And are you suggesting that I should study gcse maths and english?

And pls can you enlighten me about the structure of btec like how many levels are there ?..how long are they ?..after which level we can apply to uni...?
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you so much ....

And are you suggesting that I should study gcse maths and english?

And pls can you enlighten me about the structure of btec like how many levels are there ?..how long are they ?..after which level we can apply to uni...?

Yes to study the core subjects is compulsory. You won’t be able to get anywhere without your GCSE in English and Maths as most employers ask for these.

There’s three levels of BTEC. Level 1 which is basic so those who require ESOL and other support in their studies.

Level 2, which is intermediate(you can do this BTEC with your GCSES in English and Maths).

Level 3 is advanced and is equal to 3 A-Levels so it will be intense. If you didn’t pass your GCSES whilst doing Level 2 you will get a chance to do it here but it’ll be quite stressful as you will then have assignment deadlines too.

After the Level 3 you can apply to Uni.
All the best! 😊.
Reply 4
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Yes to study the core subjects is compulsory. You won’t be able to get anywhere without your GCSE in English and Maths as most employers ask for these.

There’s three levels of BTEC. Level 1 which is basic so those who require ESOL and other support in their studies.

Level 2, which is intermediate(you can do this BTEC with your GCSES in English and Maths).

Level 3 is advanced and is equal to 3 A-Levels so it will be intense. If you didn’t pass your GCSES whilst doing Level 2 you will get a chance to do it here but it’ll be quite stressful as you will then have assignment deadlines too.

After the Level 3 you can apply to Uni.
All the best! 😊.

I was super puzzled...and you literally just cleared everything...I am so grateful and thankful to you... Good Luck for your future .🤗...
Thanks to u too Emily.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Do you know anything about AAT?

I'm not familiar with AAT, however, when you're close to finishing your Level 3, the tutors are very helpful when it comes to finding you the right apprentice/uni/work once you finish. :smile: a lot of people in my class are going off to do apprentice in accountancy and some going off to uni. however, since accountancy is more mathematical, most employers are going to look for a B or above in maths GCSE :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by emilly2001
I'm not familiar with AAT, however, when you're close to finishing your Level 3, the tutors are very helpful when it comes to finding you the right apprentice/uni/work once you finish. :smile: a lot of people in my class are going off to do apprentice in accountancy and some going off to uni. however, since accountancy is more mathematical, most employers are going to look for a B or above in maths GCSE :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 8

Hi! I do!

If you haven't got GCSEs (minimum of five) then you'll be put on btec level two as you need 5 to do the level three. After doing the level 2 (one year long), you can progress to level three (year one, there's two separate years to this, as a diploma and an extended diploma).

Then you can do the btec level three year two course to get the extended diploma, after this you progress to university.

I was in the same boat of having little to no GCSEs (health pre-16 meant i didn't get the 5 required to do the level three right away.)

I instead did my level two btec alongside my AAT level two course and I've just done my level three AAT along side my level three btec year one.

It's definitely a quicker way to do it but i was doing 16 hour weeks with btec as a day student and a further 9 as an AAT night student as the timetable couldn't be adjusted to be a day student for both, so it is pretty hour intensive. If you can manage it, then dual qualifying is a quicker way to progress
Reply 9
Oh and also you do not need above a B in math! It's all calucations on a calculator and costing is divsion, nothing complex. I have a C and i got Disntiction of 90%+ in both of my aat qualifications so far c:
Reply 10
Original post by Rose992
Hi! I do!

If you haven't got GCSEs (minimum of five) then you'll be put on btec level two as you need 5 to do the level three. After doing the level 2 (one year long), you can progress to level three (year one, there's two separate years to this, as a diploma and an extended diploma).

Then you can do the btec level three year two course to get the extended diploma, after this you progress to university.

I was in the same boat of having little to no GCSEs (health pre-16 meant i didn't get the 5 required to do the level three right away.)

I instead did my level two btec alongside my AAT level two course and I've just done my level three AAT along side my level three btec year one.

It's definitely a quicker way to do it but i was doing 16 hour weeks with btec as a day student and a further 9 as an AAT night student as the timetable couldn't be adjusted to be a day student for both, so it is pretty hour intensive. If you can manage it, then dual qualifying is a quicker way to progress

Hey!
Thanks!
Do you have any idea about the Law ? Can I study law after business diplomas ? Will it be a option for me ?
Hey!
Thanks!
Do you have any idea about the Law ? Can I study law after business diplomas ? Will it be a option for me ?

Yes. Law has no specific requirements, just get the best grades you can so you can get into a decent school.
Which btec are you doing?
Ideally you need to be getting as many distinctions and merits as you can.
If your grades are good enough you can apply for all but the elite law schools.
Presumably you are studying GCSE Maths and English at the same time? You must have those when you apply.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. Law has no specific requirements, just get the best grades you can so you can get into a decent school.
Presumably you are studying GCSE Maths and English at the same time? You must have those when you apply.

Hey thanks !
Well hopefully I am going to start btec level 2 diploma business .. and yes I would make sure that I do GCSE'S in maths and English along .
When can I apply for a law university? After level 3 ?
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger

And I would really appreciate it if you give me a brief list of the major professions I can adopt after business diplomas ..I tried it on google but it wasn't really helpful .
Hey thanks !
Well hopefully I am going to start btec level 2 diploma business .. and yes I would make sure that I do GCSE'S in maths and English along .
When can I apply for a law university? After level 3 ?

Yes you need level 3 to get into uni.
And I would really appreciate it if you give me a brief list of the major professions I can adopt after business diplomas ..I tried it on google but it wasn't really helpful .

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which career?
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...with-my-degree
Career profiles
https://www.planitplus.net/JobProfiles?letter=A
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending