CamT101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi All,
I am a year 11 student who is thinking about university courses at the moment. I am expecting all 9s at GCSE and an A in Admaths (the highest grade).
I have had a passion for economics for quite a long time. I started, but never finished, self-studying the GCSE course, and I have just completed a uni semester MOOC on macroeconomics. I also do a lot of reading (as every other econ student will probably state, I subscribe to The Economist) but I also read books such as Money and Government by Robert Skidelsky. I have also just started an economics blog. My current planned A-Level choices are Maths, F Maths, Economics and History.
I am now deciding what uni course I want to do. I have been thinking about Cambridge econ. For quite a long time, however, I know that this is incredibly maths based. I am a reasonably confident mathematician, but this hasn't stopped me looking at other courses, such as Economics and History at Oxford (as I enjoy the policy/historical side of economics). I have also been thinking about Oxford PPE, not because of its prestige, but because it includes the topics I am most passionate about. I haven't considered E and M as much because I am not as interested in finance/ management (more the macro/micro econ) and it is a very competitive course. I'm not sure whether I would need to change my A-Levels depending on which of these courses I wanted to do?
I would welcome any suggestions or guidance towards a university course from current/ prospective students. I would also love to hear from anyone about any I could do/get involved in to increase my Oxbridge chances (for example I have been looking at essay competitions and considering starting an econ society in my sixth form).
I would love any suggestions or advice, please.
Last edited by CamT101; 1 year ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Economics, you just need maths and for PPE, I dont think there are any qualifications but maybe request an FOI on whatdotheyknow what subjects a successful candidate has in Oxford. I suggest looking at the history modules of economics and history because it's much better focusing in one topic if the modules might not appeal to you - Oxford Mum son applied for Law and German but ended up doing German as he was more passionate about German but not much law. It's highly recommended that you have maths and history for Economics and History. I recommend looking at Oxford mum's demystified book if you are looking to apply for Oxford and the chapters on History and Economics by historicism : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post88085076 and PPE: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436380 I also have a list of essay competitions you could check out: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6419758 and maybe look this for more things to do: https://www.myheplus.com/post-16/subjects/economics
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CamT101)
Hi All,
I am a year 11 student who is thinking about university courses at the moment. I am expecting all 9s at GCSE and an A in Admaths (the highest grade).
I have had a passion for economics for quite a long time. I started, but never finished, self-studying the GCSE course, and I have just completed a uni semester MOOC on macroeconomics. I also do a lot of reading (as every other econ student will probably state, I subscribe to The Economist) but I also read books such as Money and Government by Robert Skidelsky. I have also just started an economics blog. My current planned A-Level choices are Maths, F Maths, Economics and History.
I am now deciding what uni course I want to do. I have been thinking about Cambridge econ. For quite a long time, however, I know that this is incredibly maths based. I am a reasonably confident mathematician, but this hasn't stopped me looking at other courses, such as Economics and History at Oxford (as I enjoy the policy/historical side of economics). I have also been thinking about Oxford PPE, not because of its prestige, but because it includes the topics I am most passionate about. I haven't considered E and M as much because I am not as interested in finance/ management (more the macro/micro econ) and it is a very competitive course. I'm not sure whether I would need to change my A-Levels depending on which of these courses I wanted to do?
I would welcome any suggestions or guidance towards a university course from current/ prospective students. I would also love to hear from anyone about any I could do/get involved in to increase my Oxbridge chances (for example I have been looking at essay competitions and considering starting an econ society in my sixth form).
I would love any suggestions or advice, please.
From what you are saying, you are doing everything right so far. Essay competitions are great, as are EPQs or research into an area of economics you are interested in, the more niche the better.

Yes, the Cambridge economics course is very maths based. If you are doing PPE, keep abreast of topical politics in the broadsheets.

If you want to ask a PPE offer holder ask
utilitarianism
Encoot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently studying economics at Liverpool university and I’m not sure about other unis but I know to do it here it didn’t matter particularly what Alevels I did, I just needed alevel maths.

From my experience applying to unis a lot of the time doing a lot of harder Alevels like the ones you’ve chosen is unessessary for the majority of Russel group unis, it’s more important to get good grades, but by the sounds of it you’re capable of getting good grades in the harder subjects anyway so if you enjoy them then by all means go ahead
historicism
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there

It's nice to see someone who is so enthusiastic about the prospect of studying economics! Given your grades and your evident interest in the field, it seems as if you would be able to put together a strong application for any economics course.

As far as Oxbridge is concerned, I would consider whether you are truly interested in studying politics and philosophy or history at degree-level. If the prospect of combining economics with other subjects excites you, then Oxford is an excellent choice. If not, Cambridge would be a much better fit.

Other universities that you may wish to consider are LSE, UCL, and Warwick, all of which have strong reputations for economics. LSE is actually the only university where you can study for an undergraduate degree in economic history, if that's something that you're interested in. If you are particularly interested in studying multiple subjects, St. Andrews' modular degree system might appeal to you.

With regards to your A-Level choices, that combination is extremely common among students on all of the courses that you mentioned and would prepare you well for a wide range of degrees. Maths is required, or at the very least recommended, for most economics courses at university. If you're considering Oxbridge, Further Maths to at least AS-Level is also useful, particularly at Cambridge.

In terms of improving your chances of Oxbridge admission, you're already doing a lot of the right things. The tutors are looking for evidence of your intellectual curiosity and passion for your subject(s), so activities like reading books that interest you, entering competitions, and watching lecture series are definitely useful. I wouldn't recommend doing these things for the sake of it, however. Doing what genuinely interests you is the most important!

If you have any questions about applying to Oxford specifically, feel free to PM me.
CamT101
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
For Economics, you just need maths and for PPE, I dont think there are any qualifications but maybe request an FOI on whatdotheyknow what subjects a successful candidate has in Oxford. I suggest looking at the history modules of economics and history because it's much better focusing in one topic if the modules might not appeal to you - Oxford Mum son applied for Law and German but ended up doing German as he was more passionate about German but not much law. It's highly recommended that you have maths and history for Economics and History. I recommend looking at Oxford mum's demystified book if you are looking to apply for Oxford and the chapters on History and Economics by historicism : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post88085076 and PPE: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436380 I also have a list of essay competitions you could check out: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6419758 and maybe look this for more things to do: https://www.myheplus.com/post-16/subjects/economics
Thank you very much; that has been a great help! I found the list of essay competitions especially useful.
CamT101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
From what you are saying, you are doing everything right so far. Essay competitions are great, as are EPQs or research into an area of economics you are interested in, the more niche the better.

Yes, the Cambridge economics course is very maths based. If you are doing PPE, keep abreast of topical politics in the broadsheets.

If you want to ask a PPE offer holder ask
utilitarianism
Yes, I will be starting an EPQ soon which I am looking forward to.
I will definitely get in contact with @utilitarianism
CamT101
Rep:
?
(Original post by historicism)
Hi there

It's nice to see someone who is so enthusiastic about the prospect of studying economics! Given your grades and your evident interest in the field, it seems as if you would be able to put together a strong application for any economics course.

As far as Oxbridge is concerned, I would consider whether you are truly interested in studying politics and philosophy or history at degree-level. If the prospect of combining economics with other subjects excites you, then Oxford is an excellent choice. If not, Cambridge would be a much better fit.

Other universities that you may wish to consider are LSE, UCL, and Warwick, all of which have strong reputations for economics. LSE is actually the only university where you can study for an undergraduate degree in economic history, if that's something that you're interested in. If you are particularly interested in studying multiple subjects, St. Andrews' modular degree system might appeal to you.

With regards to your A-Level choices, that combination is extremely common among students on all of the courses that you mentioned and would prepare you well for a wide range of degrees. Maths is required, or at the very least recommended, for most economics courses at university. If you're considering Oxbridge, Further Maths to at least AS-Level is also useful, particularly at Cambridge.

In terms of improving your chances of Oxbridge admission, you're already doing a lot of the right things. The tutors are looking for evidence of your intellectual curiosity and passion for your subject(s), so activities like reading books that interest you, entering competitions, and watching lecture series are definitely useful. I wouldn't recommend doing these things for the sake of it, however. Doing what genuinely interests you is the most important!

If you have any questions about applying to Oxford specifically, feel free to PM me.
Thank you very much,
I am definitely very interested in politics and philosophy, however, it has always been economics which has interested me the most. I will be starting to research for my EPQ on the macroeconomic policy side of Bretton Woods soon but this also encompasses history and politics so I am looking forward to seeing which part of this I enjoy reading the most.
I have actually looked at the economic history course at LSE which really interests me!
Thank you very much for all your advice. I'm currently trying to use this free time to do some research/reading of my own and find out what interests me the most!
I'd love to get in touch at some point!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (13)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
19.54%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.39%

Watched Threads