The Student Room Group

Do universities like sob stories?

I often wonder whether it would be good to include a small, sad section to my personal statement - like a sentence - which is the true reason why I want to study my subject.

Part of me feels like it’s a bit weird to include a ‘sob story’ in a ps though. Universities have probably seen a lot of them and something about it seems weird.

I wonder what some of the best unis in the UK think about sad parts of a ps.
Original post by Anonymous
I often wonder whether it would be good to include a small, sad section to my personal statement - like a sentence - which is the true reason why I want to study my subject.

Part of me feels like it’s a bit weird to include a ‘sob story’ in a ps though. Universities have probably seen a lot of them and something about it seems weird.

The uni sympathies with you and you get your Uni space.
I don't think it's a bad thing depending on the subject you're going for, when I was looking through personal statements for my course I noticed a lot of the successful ones had included the real reasons for why they were pursuing that degree. When I was interviewing for social work they did ask if I had any experiences personal or professional and mentioned that sometimes unfortunate events lead to personal growth and development, so maybe if you could write it in that sense rather than a 'sob story'. As long as you concentrate on the selling yourself part it might be beneficial for you to provide some context into the reason you want to study that subject.
Original post by Anonymous

It very much depends on its relevance and clarity. If you were inspired to study nursing/medicine due to a family member's illness/death for example, then that is relevant. However, if your reason is too much of a reach or hard to follow, then leave it out.

Undoubtedly it should not be more than a glancing reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending