gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m finding this really difficult task to do. Does anyone know the answers to the following with explanations (or have a link to a YouTube video or website that could help me??)
thanks in advance x

Milgram:
• nature or nurture?
• reductionist or holistic?
• psychology as a science?

Bocchiaro:
• nature or nurture?
• freewill or determinist?
• individual or situational?
• reductionism or holistic?
fatimahkk2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by wordsandroses)
I’m finding this really difficult task to do. Does anyone know the answers to the following with explanations (or have a link to a YouTube video or website that could help me??)
thanks in advance x

Milgram:
• nature or nurture?
• reductionist or holistic?
• psychology as a science?

Bocchiaro:
• nature or nurture?
• freewill or determinist?
• individual or situational?
• reductionism or holistic?
For milgram
Nature/nurture:
- milgram tried to show obedience wasnt a dispositional trait eg; authoritarian personality (nature) but its a consequence of the situation (nurture) eg; his variation studies into location, proximity, using the ordinary man giving orders etc
- agency theory is a mixture of both; idea of evolution is nature (heirarchy in societies has evolved for survival + stability) then the nurture side is social heirarchies (parents and teachers taught us to be obedient)

Reductionist/Holistic:
- milgrams agency theory is reductionist because it doesnt explain why some people obey and others dont eg; ignores other factors such as gender, personality, culture
- its holistic because it considers both environmental (situational factors) and biological factors (eg; evolution)

Psychology as a science:
- empirical evidence: milgram used a Lab Experiment; so standardised procedure eg; experimenter read prods off a script so the study can be replicated - hence its reliable + controlled variables such as tape recording the screams of the 'learner' - so its the same for every participants
- objective: quantitative data eg; the % of participants going up to a certain voltage - objective measure because it doesnt need subjective interpretation - so no bias - but could say it lacks scientific credibility because he used observations eg; participants were anxious/shaking - this couldve been subjective/biased based on who was making the observations
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by fatimahkk2001)
For milgram
Nature/nurture:
- milgram tried to show obedience wasnt a dispositional trait eg; authoritarian personality (nature) but its a consequence of the situation (nurture) eg; his variation studies into location, proximity, using the ordinary man giving orders etc
- agency theory is a mixture of both; idea of evolution is nature (heirarchy in societies has evolved for survival + stability) then the nurture side is social heirarchies (parents and teachers taught us to be obedient)

Reductionist/Holistic:
- milgrams agency theory is reductionist because it doesnt explain why some people obey and others dont eg; ignores other factors such as gender, personality, culture
- its holistic because it considers both environmental (situational factors) and biological factors (eg; evolution)

Psychology as a science:
- empirical evidence: milgram used a Lab Experiment; so standardised procedure eg; experimenter read prods off a script so the study can be replicated - hence its reliable + controlled variables such as tape recording the screams of the 'learner' - so its the same for every participants
- objective: quantitative data eg; the % of participants going up to a certain voltage - objective measure because it doesnt need subjective interpretation - so no bias - but could say it lacks scientific credibility because he used observations eg; participants were anxious/shaking - this couldve been subjective/biased based on who was making the observations
Thank you so much! bocchiaros so hard Cus I swear no ones done that study aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.22%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.09%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.64%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.8%

Watched Threads