university placement problems

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am thinking to go back to university, I am just wondering what I would do if I struggled on a course which had practical placements. eg courses like teaching, nursing, radiography. I've heard bad stories about trainers bullying or I worry if I am struggling and fail a placement even if I have capabilities but just struggles to understand something, would I fail the course, would I be allowed to retake. I never used to fail exams but I remember in my final year I struggled in my degree and it was not usual for me and I didnt know how to cope with failing exam.
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am thinking to go back to university, I am just wondering what I would do if I struggled on a course which had practical placements. eg courses like teaching, nursing, radiography. I've heard bad stories about trainers bullying or I worry if I am struggling and fail a placement even if I have capabilities but just struggles to understand something, would I fail the course, would I be allowed to retake. I never used to fail exams but I remember in my final year I struggled in my degree and it was not usual for me and I didnt know how to cope with failing exam.
You do get opportunity to re-take placement to achieve the competencies you've failed. However, you only get one re-take, unlike academic work where you get 2 chances to re-take. That's how it worked for my nursing placements, anyway. Any issue with bullying, there are people at the placements and at the university you can talk to to raise concerns. When it comes to struggling with something at uni, speaking up and asking for help really does help.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I get what you mean, I am too I studied occupational therapy and I was bullied by educator the uni did everything they could to help but they wasn't anything they could do as the uni needed to keep their placements and maintain positive relationships with the organisations.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I get what you mean, I am too I studied occupational therapy and I was bullied by educator the uni did everything they could to help but they wasn't anything they could do as the uni needed to keep their placements and maintain positive relationships with the organisations.
This is what worries me. My sis had same issue when she did pgce in a school and university cared more about relationship with school rather than her passing and she failed due to this

how do you find occupational therapy, I studied psychology, is it relevant to psychology, if you dont mind me asking what does the work involve?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
This is what worries me. My sis had same issue when she did pgce in a school and university cared more about relationship with school rather than her passing and she failed due to this

how do you find occupational therapy, I studied psychology, is it relevant to psychology, if you dont mind me asking what does the work involve?
Occupational therapy it is good we help me do everyday activities such as washing, shopping etc. what are you planning on studying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (159)
74.3%
No (55)
25.7%

Watched Threads