JingoStar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all,
In a few months I will be moving to Scotland from England and need some advice. After much searching on the internet I'm slightly bewildered by the differences between England and Scottish schools. I'm currently in my first year of sixth-form, studying Politics, History and Film. I hope to restart year 12 in Scotland, studying Politics.

How many courses is someone expected to take post-16 in a Scottish School?

Do Colleges exist in Scotland? If so, what are the important differences?

Are there any mandatory courses I'll have to take in Scotland?

Is there anything else I should know?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by JingoStar)
Hi all,
In a few months I will be moving to Scotland from England and need some advice. After much searching on the internet I'm slightly bewildered by the differences between England and Scottish schools. I'm currently in my first year of sixth-form, studying Politics, History and Film. I hope to restart year 12 in Scotland, studying Politics.

Firstly, Labrador99 will probably know more.

So in Scotland, most people do highers and advanced highers (the first in year 12 (S5) and the latter in year 13 (S6)). You don't need to do advanced highers to get into all Scottish unis but I believe some do require it. Essentially in S6 (year 13) you can either retake/ do more highers; do advanced highers or do volunteering. I don't think it is a compulsory year but if you plan on going to uni then it improves your chances of getting accepting i believe.

Also, if you want to go to uni in England then you almost always have to have Advanced Highers. In Scotland, it just means you are more likely to get an unconditional offer or may be offered to start in the second year if you want.

Most students take 5 highers (but its between 3-5, with 4 generally the minimum) and then may do 2/3 AHs in the subjects they like (or are needed for uni or whatever).

Yeah, colleges exist but again they do highers and advanced highers - I do think there are a few that do A-levels but they are probably independent.
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,

If you are restarting year 12, you will be heading into S5 which is when you will generally take 5 highers. (you can take N5s which are like slightly harder GCSEs). Highers are like an easier version of an A level and the course is done in 1 year, You can definitely do higher History and my school offers higher politics and higher media however not all schools do. If your school does not offer higher politics another subject which is similar is Modern Studies.
You will most likely want to take Higher English as it is a subject that most unis want/recommend if you are doing an essay based course, which it sounds like you are.
To get into Scottish Unis you use your higher results, usually ranging from BBC-AAAB so you want to try and take between 4-5 but you don't have to as you can catch up in S6.
In S6 you can basically do whatever you want- take more highers, do advanced highers (a harder version of highers) or just take fun subjects like bakery and volunteering. However I would just say that there is no advanced higher politics or media if that is what you take as highers so again, modern studies and English might be good subjects to also take as they have advanced highers. Hope this answers your first question.

Yes colleges do exist in Scotland but are very different from England, it is mainly (from my limited experience) trade courses like hairdressing, construction, hospitality, beauty and childcare etc. However you can also do extra highers at some colleges if you missed them at school. They also offer access courses and you can go from age 16 usually. I don't know a lot about colleges so you are best to find someone more knowledgeable.

There are not any mandatory course in Scotland for S5/S6 as you are above school leaving age. Your school might want you to do certain things (like PE) but it is not mandatory. I may be wrong on this but I think you have to study maths/english up until at least S4 ( you don't need a qualification in it though).

If anything has confused you please just ask, someone who can probably also help is Labrador99, the Scottish forum helper.

Oh yeah just remembered there is a Scottish qualifications forum where it might be best to ask questions.
Kubsyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would also like to add:

I don’t know if A-levels do them but for nat 5s, highers and AHs we have assignments which are mostly projects-based tests and give you marks towards your final grade.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,

I think the others have pretty much covered everything (thanks for the tags _Mia101 and Valeriex!)

What kind of grades were you working towards for your A levels/what did you get in your GCSEs? Based on those, we can try & give some more specific advice in terms of subjects/levels (the system here is more flexible than England in terms of when you do which qualifications).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads