The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How to improve my extra-curriculars for a History degree

I am applying in Autumn for history to universities such as St Andrews and Glasgow, which are extremely competitive for my degree choice. I was hoping over the summer to do some volunteer work but because of corona this looks unlikely, due to school circumstances I haven't even done formal work experience! Some advice on things I could do from either people applying as well or people who were successful getting in would be great (ideally History related!)
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I am applying in Autumn for history to universities such as St Andrews and Glasgow, which are extremely competitive for my degree choice. I was hoping over the summer to do some volunteer work but because of corona this looks unlikely, due to school circumstances I haven't even done formal work experience! Some advice on things I could do from either people applying as well or people who were successful getting in would be great (ideally History related!)

I would read, so it backs up what interests you about the subject, what you have to offer as a student, what motivates you and what you feel you will get out of studying the degree. You can use covid 19 as shaping your preparation and inquisitiveness into understanding the role of history.,
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hi my ds is studying history just finishing 3rd year. As well as reading he undertook a " short course" at Edinburgh uni in the evening once per week on a history topic and loved it he was able to use what he learned from this in his personal statement. There is a cost attached so would depend on your circumstances but it was real value for money at the time I think it was £ 100 for the 10 weeks. Hopefully by September these will be running again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending