The Student Room Group

Can an older person help with college stuff?

So I'm considering colleges in the U.K, and I wanted to ask what are some good recommendations?

pretty please heeelp xD <333
Original post by wheretheavacados
So I'm considering colleges in the U.K, and I wanted to ask what are some good recommendations?

pretty please heeelp xD <333

We need lots more information to help effectively?

Are you overseas - if so where?

Do you mean College or University?

What subject do you want to study?

What grades are you likely to get?
Original post by threeportdrift
We need lots more information to help effectively?

Are you overseas - if so where?

Do you mean College or University?

What subject do you want to study?

What grades are you likely to get?

Oh, I'm so sorry, i should've done that first! I'm so sorrryy!!

I am overseas, in the U.S, in Texas to be more on the point

More in college than university

and i'm planning on Law, or Medical

and i'm expecting to get around 80-90%
Original post by wheretheavacados
Oh, I'm so sorry, i should've done that first! I'm so sorrryy!!

I am overseas, in the U.S, in Texas to be more on the point

More in college than university

and i'm planning on Law, or Medical

and i'm expecting to get around 80-90%

OK, maybe some check in terminology - no-one in their right mind comes from overseas to go to College in the UK. Colleges generally award below degree level qualifications that have no real international currency. That's not true in every situation as some pedant is bound to explain, but to make any sense, you must mean university.

Law or medicine - they are very different, and you'll require very different subjects to enter. If you mean medicine as in being a Doctor - look it up, you'll need epic grades in the right subjects and places for overseas students are limited by government.

If you mean Law, then be aware UK law is different to US law and you'd have to take additional exams to work in the US.

I think you need to do a lot more research or explain your situation much better for it to make sense.
In the UK, college =last two years of US highschool, whereas university = US college/ university

I don't know how good your grades are, by they sound pretty good! When you apply to UK universities you go through a website called UCAS apply, and you're allowed to apply to 5 universities including (if you want) either Oxford OR Cambridge, not both. Other than that, you can apply where you want. I'd recommend going onto the UCAS website and having a look at different courses available.

Some suggestions of unis to look at:
Oxford
Cambridge
St Georges
Durham
Exeter
University of East Anglia
St Andrews
Edinburgh
York
Bristol
Aberystwyth

There are loads of good universities besides these, but these are jist somewhere to start. Are you looking at undergraduate or graduate? You'll also have to write a single essay called a personal statement which goes to all 5 of your unis (a bit like common app) so it would be difficult to apply to law and medicine.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or send me a DM.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm a mum of a US High Schooler that's going to University in the UK this year - you can DM me if you want.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Medicine

Here are rankings for the various subjects. Dont rely totally on them as they are not totally reliable but might be helpful to know what is generally considered better. You can check individual universities to see whether you meet their requirements.
Reply 7
I think it would be wise to decide if you want to do medicine or law first, as that would influence which university you might want to attend. E.g. for medicine some unis offer very formal taught courses and others have a problem based approach.
Reply 8
What APs have you taken (and what scores did you get), or will take next year? That will dictate what options you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending