Unqualified, and very confused!

Watch
Florentine_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hii,

Recently my husband was relocated to UK by his work. I came with him, and I want back to study.

I don't have any qualifications here. And in the future, I would like to work as a nurse. I came here on the forum because I don't have idea where I must begin. I'm feeling lost between the need of GCSE or not, do or not Access to HE. I'm sorry if sounds stupid. I talked with some providers of the GCSE course and Access to HE, and sounds they just want to sell the course to you.

Do you have any tips for me? If it was you, for where would you begin?

Many thanks!!
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1) Do English and maths GCSE or functional skills level 2.
(GCSE is more recognised)

2)Do access to nursing course

3) apply for nursing degree.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to add the first thing you should do is narrow down what universities you want to go to.

See what GCSEs they require
See the entry requirements for the access course and if they accept it.

Best bet is to email them.

This may seem premature but some nursing degrees require GCSE science and some may not accept an access course.
Androm3da
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi and welcome here! It can be confusing when it comes to entry requirements at various universities. What I would recommend, is have a look at the NHS website, where they provide information about the route to become a registered nurse in the UK. Their link with the information is here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ng-nursing.The best way is to find universities at a reasonable distance from where you live, if you are constrained by the location, and send them an email. Discuss about your personal circumstances, your academic past and most importantly your ambitions and experience and why you would be a great student. Apart from universities, there are also some apprenticeships which will teach you while working. If you finished 12 years of basic education in an other European country for example, your grades on related subjects might be useful. Or any other vocational or college course you might have done. Even if it seems unrelated, there are lots of transferable skills which might be useful.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Florentine_)
Hii,

Recently my husband was relocated to UK by his work. I came with him, and I want back to study.

I don't have any qualifications here. And in the future, I would like to work as a nurse. I came here on the forum because I don't have idea where I must begin. I'm feeling lost between the need of GCSE or not, do or not Access to HE. I'm sorry if sounds stupid. I talked with some providers of the GCSE course and Access to HE, and sounds they just want to sell the course to you.

Do you have any tips for me? If it was you, for where would you begin?

Many thanks!!
Hi there Florentine_

You've had some great advice in your replies and I can only back that up.

Look for the universities you'd like to study at and look for their entry requirements. (Drop them an email and see what they say) Then look for gaining those qualifications.

You'd need GCSE's or equivalents first (check with the universities which they'd prefer when you contact them), then look for an Access to Nursing course. Access courses are designed for people without Level 3 qualifications, so they can gain the right UCAS points for university. They really work.

Let us know if there's anything else we can answer for you!

Fi :horse:
OnlySonia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adam271)
1) Do English and maths GCSE or functional skills level 2.
(GCSE is more recognised)

2)Do access to nursing course

3) apply for nursing degree.
Great advice, and the usual route for many mature students.
Every uni will have its own qualification requirements but all will need to meet the Nursing and Midwifery Councils requirements as part of that.

To give you an idea of the kind of entry requirements for uni here is Teesside Unis entry requirements for adult nursing:

‘You are expected to have:

recent Level 2 Academic Study within the last five years.
a minimum of two GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above including English language and maths. Key Skills/Functional Skills Level 2 in Communication and Application of Number can be accepted in place of English and Maths GCSE. Please note these are not required if you are doing an Access course – however, you must have English and maths as listed below.*

Plus any of the following qualifications:

GCE and VCE Advanced Level
96 points from two or three A levels.

AS Level
These are only acceptable combined with other qualifications. One AS level can be accepted when combined with two or three A Levels to meet the 96 points required.

Access course
A pass in a QAA-recognised Access course including a minimum of 27 Level 3 credits at merit with a minimum of 77 points.
*We can accept level 2 Access units in communication and maths in place of English and maths GCSEs.

BTEC QCF Extended Diploma
96 points (MMM).

CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care
96 points (C) in health and social care.

Foundation degree
A pass in any subject.

Irish Leaving Certificate
96 points from four or five Highers/Honours subjects.

NVQ
Level 3 plus 40 credits at level 4 (in any subject).

Open University
60 credits at Level 4 with the Open University or a CertHE pass in any subject.

Scottish Highers
111 points from four or five Highers.

Advanced Scottish Highers
120 points from three Advanced Highers’

( I had a recent BA Hons degree which also counted as my recent study as I didn’t have an access course etc)
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have any qualifications from your home country. If so you can check if they are admissible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads