Anyone doing Latin or Ancient Greek for A-level?

Watch
Cat.killeen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
They’re not common A-levels so I want to find some other people doing them who help me out over the next two years!
Any tips from those who have done it??
x
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am teaching them at the moment! Which texts are you doing?
Cat.killeen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Classics_Teacher)
I am teaching them at the moment! Which texts are you doing?
I really don’t know details, which is why I want to find out more! I think for Latin we look at Cicero in year 12, and Ovid in year 13 (I don’t know what texts), and I only know that in year12 for Greek we look at Sophocles’ Ajax!
This doesn’t really help, so I would just love to hear other opinions on how people have found the classical A-levels and what components of Latin+Greek they find interesting!
Literature? Tragedy/drama? Daily life?
I’m just trying to build a picture of what the next two years will look like!
poppymia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Cat.killeen next year I am doing Latin too, as well as biology, chemistry and maths. What other a levels are you doing?
Cat.killeen
Rep:
?
(Original post by poppymia)
Cat.killeen next year I am doing Latin too, as well as biology, chemistry and maths. What other a levels are you doing?
Im doing Latin, Ancient Greek, English lit and theology (RS)
So apart from Latin, were completely different!! x
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Cat.killeen)
I really don’t know details, which is why I want to find out more! I think for Latin we look at Cicero in year 12, and Ovid in year 13 (I don’t know what texts), and I only know that in year12 for Greek we look at Sophocles’ Ajax!
This doesn’t really help, so I would just love to hear other opinions on how people have found the classical A-levels and what components of Latin+Greek they find interesting!
Literature? Tragedy/drama? Daily life?
I’m just trying to build a picture of what the next two years will look like!
The A-Level texts are divided into four groups: Group 1 for Latin is a choice between part of Cicero's Pro Cluentio speech or a selection from Tacitus' Annals. You can carry on with these texts for Group 2, or you can prepare a different text - a selection from Livy's History of Rome.
The Group 3 text is a choice between a selection of lines from Virgil's Aeneid Book 12 or some poems from Catullus; again, you can carry on with these authors for the Group 4 text or you can read a selection from Ovid's Heroides. The language paper unseens will be taken from Livy for prose and Ovid for verse.

Group 1 for Greek is a choice between a selection from Thucydides' Histories Book 6 or Plato's Symposium. Again, you can carry on with these for Group 2 or read a selection from Plutarch's Life of Alcibiades. The Group 3 text is a choice between a selection of lines from Homer's Odyssey Book 1 or Sophocles' Ajax. Group 4 offers a continuation of these texts or a selection from Aristophes' Clouds. The language paper unseens will be taken from Xenophon for prose and Euripides for verse.

Personally, I am choosing to do Cicero for Groups 1 and 2, Virgil for Group 3 and Ovid for Group 4 and then for Greek doing Plato for Group 1, Plutarch for Group 2, Sophocles for Group 3 and Aristophanes for Group 4.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I've just finished my Latin Pre-U, studying Cicero's In Verrem 2.5 and Virgil's Aeneid 2.
I loved it and would recommend 100%. If you have questions feel free to ask
poppymia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Classics_Teacher)
The A-Level texts are divided into four groups: Group 1 for Latin is a choice between part of Cicero's Pro Cluentio speech or a selection from Tacitus' Annals. You can carry on with these texts for Group 2, or you can prepare a different text - a selection from Livy's History of Rome.
The Group 3 text is a choice between a selection of lines from Virgil's Aeneid Book 12 or some poems from Catullus; again, you can carry on with these authors for the Group 4 text or you can read a selection from Ovid's Heroides. The language paper unseens will be taken from Livy for prose and Ovid for verse.

Group 1 for Greek is a choice between a selection from Thucydides' Histories Book 6 or Plato's Symposium. Again, you can carry on with these for Group 2 or read a selection from Plutarch's Life of Alcibiades. The Group 3 text is a choice between a selection of lines from Homer's Odyssey Book 1 or Sophocles' Ajax. Group 4 offers a continuation of these texts or a selection from Aristophes' Clouds. The language paper unseens will be taken from Xenophon for prose and Euripides for verse.

Personally, I am choosing to do Cicero for Groups 1 and 2, Virgil for Group 3 and Ovid for Group 4 and then for Greek doing Plato for Group 1, Plutarch for Group 2, Sophocles for Group 3 and Aristophanes for Group 4.
Classics_Teacher sorry it’s taken me so long to reply but I am moving schools for sixth form so it took me while to find out. They have confirmed we are going Cicero for group 1 and group 2. Do you have advice or suggestions at resources I can use to prepare for next year. Any advice would greatly appreciated !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.26%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.97%
I'm not a current university student (573)
48.6%

Watched Threads