The Student Room Group

Physics help

Hello,
I have 2 kinematics equation questions that I am struggling with at the moment. If you are able to help, please could you present step by step working out for the following questions rather than just giving the answer so that I know how you got it.
The kinematic equation for finding s (displacement) should be used for both questions. All help is greatly appreciated :smile:

1. An experimental rocket is launched vertically with a velocity of 5ms-1
At a certain height the tail falls off and strikes the ground after 4 seconds.
Assuming the tail falls off while the rocket is travelling at 5 ms-1,calculate the height at which it fell off.

2. An angry scaffolder throws her spanner down to the ground with a velocity of 2 ms-1
the spanner takes 2 seconds to strike the ground.
Calculate the height the scaffolder was at when she threw down the spanner.
(edited 3 years ago)
Both questions use the formula for s as stated
s = ut + 0.5 g t2

Both questions give you u, and t and we assume a value for a, the acceleration due to gravity (g).
Qu 2 is probably the easier of the two.
So sub in the values to find s.
Come back with your attempt if you get stuck and we can help further.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for this.
I have got an answer for both questions. For Q1 I got 58.4m, for Q2 I got 23.6m.
The question expresses the importance of step by step working and I'm super bad at showing exactly how I worked it out. Would you be able to demonstrate the step by step working for each please? It would be super helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Stonebridge
Both questions use the formula for s as stated
s = ut + 0.5 g t2

Both questions give you u, and t and we assume a value for a, the acceleration due to gravity (g).
Qu 2 is probably the easier of the two.
So sub in the values to find s.
Come back with your attempt if you get stuck and we can help further.

Thank you so much for this.
I have got an answer for both questions. For Q1 I got 58.4m, for Q2 I got 23.6m.
The question expresses the importance of step by step working and I'm super bad at showing exactly how I worked it out. Would you be able to demonstrate the step by step working for each please? It would be super helpful
You have got the correct answers, presumably by doing as I suggested and plugging the numbers into the formula.
That's all there was to it. State the formula. Write down the values you know for u, a and t. Plug them in. Do the calculation.

Quick Reply

Latest