abbiii._
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, i’m a year 10 student and i’m doing my gcses next year. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for maths and how i can remember methods for questions. Other than past papers, is there anything else that would really help me get a top grade in maths?
any comments are really appreciated! thanks
headieone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abbiii._)
hi, i’m a year 10 student and i’m doing my gcses next year. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for maths and how i can remember methods for questions. Other than past papers, is there anything else that would really help me get a top grade in maths?
any comments are really appreciated! thanks
I got a 9 when I done my maths gcse, nearly full marks and ik youve already mentioned it but all I did was past papers. Ive never done so many past papers in my life and ive finished my a levels. It pays off, just do past papers non stop. You'll naturally recognise the methods you need to use and use them.

Another thing is don't force yourself to use a method. Sometimes I had my own method and the teacher had another method, which wasnt harder but meant i had an extra thing to memorise, so i just stuck with mine. If you dont understand something use different stuff like youtube videos, textbooks etc. to get a better idea of what to do
Last edited by headieone; 1 year ago
abbiii._
Rep:
?
(Original post by sam72016)
I got a 9 when I done my maths gcse, nearly full marks and ik youve already mentioned it but all I did was past papers. Ive never done so many past papers in my life and ive finished my a levels. It pays off, just do past papers non stop. You'll naturally recognise the methods you need to use and use them.

Another thing is don't force yourself to use a method. Sometimes I had my own method and the teacher had another method, which wasnt harder but meant i had an extra thing to memorise, so i just stuck with mine. If you dont understand something use different stuff like youtube videos, textbooks etc. to get a better idea of what to do
thanks that is really helpful! what was a level maths like?
headieone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abbiii._)
thanks that is really helpful! what was a level maths like?
I'm still working at A/A* id say you have to enjoy doing maths and thatll help you a lot in doing well at it. In terms of difficulty its obviously harder than gcse and theres quite a bit of stuff to memorise and learn but just like gcse if you keep practising questions and doing papers youll honestly find maths a level exams the most enjoyable compared to the others (I do bio and chem as well).
It helps a lot doing gcse additional maths. Dont do a level maths if you really dont like maths because you will find it boring and tiresome
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’re struggling to remember methods, that could come from not understanding things well enough. Past papers are obviously the best thing, but trying to understand how different concepts fit together will help you loads.
YouTube videos can help with this, and answering problem solving questions that are a bit harder than GCSE level.
What kind of questions specific do you struggle with most?
f15es1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dr Frost Maths is so good and it takes questions from exam boards maths teachers and the thing that does the maths challenges and olympiads. There are also lessons on the topics that you can do to teach yourself. Just check the difficulty level because I think level 4 is like a level and degree question so just filter that out
abbiii._
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
If you’re struggling to remember methods, that could come from not understanding things well enough. Past papers are obviously the best thing, but trying to understand how different concepts fit together will help you loads.
YouTube videos can help with this, and answering problem solving questions that are a bit harder than GCSE level.
What kind of questions specific do you struggle with most?
worded questions and context mainly. i know what i need to do on a base level but i find it a little difficult to complete the method in full
abbiii._
Rep:
?
(Original post by f15es1)
Dr Frost Maths is so good and it takes questions from exam boards maths teachers and the thing that does the maths challenges and olympiads. There are also lessons on the topics that you can do to teach yourself. Just check the difficulty level because I think level 4 is like a level and degree question so just filter that out
thank you !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads