Phunene
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
how do I outline how my working in care home skills e.g communication skills, team work, will be of benefit to my undergraduate course in nursing? I am stuck, nothing is coming out of my head
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Talk about the skills that nurses need (e.g. through shadowing) and then talk about how you've developed those skills
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Talk about how the skills you’ve learnt are transferable. Try to consider how they fit into the 6C’s of nursing as well.
For example, something along the lines of nurses working in a multi-disciplinary team with people of many professions, discuss how this requires good communication. Talk about how this is outlined in the 6Cs and that your previous experience sets you in good stead of understanding this etc etc
Phunene
Rep:
?
can you just give me a head start please and I will be able to take it further. I have listed all skills but to outline its benefit to my studies is what I have no idea of. i have been on it all night, seems I just can write anything sensible.
Phunene
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
Talk about how the skills you’ve learnt are transferable. Try to consider how they fit into the 6C’s of nursing as well.
For example, something along the lines of nurses working in a multi-disciplinary team with people of many professions, discuss how this requires good communication. Talk about how this is outlined in the 6Cs and that your previous experience sets you in good stead of understanding this etc etc
can you just give me a head start please and I will be able to take it further. I have listed all skills but to outline its benefit to my studies or career in nursing is what I have no idea of. I have been on it all night, seems I just cant write anything sensible. thanks
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Phunene)
can you just give me a head start please and I will be able to take it further. I have listed all skills but to outline its benefit to my studies or career in nursing is what I have no idea of. I have been on it all night, seems I just cant write anything sensible. thanks
sure if you've listed your skills, take the time after listing them to return to them and expand further. So where you've mentioned communication, you may say something like this :

Communication is an important value within nursing. It appears in the 6Cs, which are *explain briefly in your own words what the 6Cs are.* Good communication skills can be between nurse and patient, but also between nurse and other practitioner as nurses often work in multi-disciplinary teams. In my job as a *job title* in my local care home, I developed communication skills by *what did you do in your job to build communication skills?*

Relating your skills to each element of the 6Cs is a good way of grounding them within nursing. Also consider other skills outside of the 6Cs that nurses may need, such as being able to work under pressure, time management, and quick-thinking. Don't forget to take skills you've learnt outside of your care home job as well!

Generally, they want to know why you want to be a nurse in the field you've chosen/ what motivates you, they want to be able to see that you know vaguely what lies in store for you/that you've researched the role, your previous experience, but also things about you - what do you like to do outside of your studies? what sets you apart? Do you have any hobbies, if so have they taught you anything that you can transfer to nursing?

Here's a more in depth look at what you may want to include: https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blo...e-application/
Last edited by moosec; 1 year ago
Phunene
Rep:
?
sure if you've listed your skills, take the time after listing them to return to them and expand further. So where you've mentioned communication, you may say something like this :

Communication is an important value within nursing. It appears in the 6Cs, which are *explain briefly in your own words what the 6Cs are.* Good communication skills can be between nurse and patient, but also between nurse and other practitioner as nurses often work in multi-disciplinary teams. In my job as a *job title* in my local care home, I developed communication skills by *what did you do in your job to build communication skills?*

Relating your skills to each element of the 6Cs is a good way of grounding them within nursing. Also consider other skills outside of the 6Cs that nurses may need, such as being able to work under pressure, time management, and quick-thinking. Don't forget to take skills you've learnt outside of your care home job as well!

Generally, they want to know why you want to be a nurse in the field you've chosen/ what motivates you, they want to be able to see that you know vaguely what lies in store for you/that you've researched the role, your previous experience, but also things about you - what do you like to do outside of your studies? what sets you apart? Do you have any hobbies, if so have they taught you anything that you can transfer to nursing?

Here's a more in depth look at what you may want to include: https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blo...e-application/

Gosh!! thank you very much. I really appreciate this. Now I know what to do. x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads