Student210650
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am due to be convicted for a drink driving offence in the coming weeks. I am a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in July. My course leader has suspended me from management placement until my conviction has been given, then I have to attend a fitness to practice panel.
I have no previous convictions, there was no aggravating causes and I was honest and told them about the charge the next day.
Does anyone know what I can expect? Or have been through a similar situation?
Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student210650)
Hi,
I am due to be convicted for a drink driving offence in the coming weeks. I am a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in July. My course leader has suspended me from management placement until my conviction has been given, then I have to attend a fitness to practice panel.
I have no previous convictions, there was no aggravating causes and I was honest and told them about the charge the next day.
Does anyone know what I can expect? Or have been through a similar situation?
Thank you
I am not really awake at the moment but its imperative you take this seriously and learn about the FTP procedure, why it exists and what they look for. Understanding the rules and why, will help you prepare for the hearing.

You can then prepare.

Presumably if you are convicted you have a plea in mitigation which you will discuss with your solicitor.
How much were you over and did you have any excuse?
In any event they may need a transcript of the case, so get your solicitor or barrister to ask about getting the copy of the transcript.
You should tell your solicitor about the FTP hearing and your career being in jeopardy, which in turn might get the judge/ magistrates to consider it and hopefully be sympathetic . If they are then you can use that for your FTP hearing. Show lots of remorse and contrition, plus regret about the seriousness and professional implications. This might make them sympathetic in FTP if you sound as though you have been raked over the coals and had a serious fright.

The best you can do is not panic, learn and prepare properly.
https://www.nmc.org.uk/ftp-library/u...nvestigations/

There are also other links on the NMC website plus a helpline.
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
in all likelyhood you will be terminated. the nmc have regulary strikes off nurses for that offence. your going to need avery convincing reason why your fit to be a nurses. were you suffering stress over covid. do you have depression. or substance afuse problem. if you go in with i just drunk to much and chanced it you will not do well.
Student210650
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by paub)
in all likelyhood you will be terminated. the nmc have regulary strikes off nurses for that offence. your going to need avery convincing reason why your fit to be a nurses. were you suffering stress over covid. do you have depression. or substance afuse problem. if you go in with i just drunk to much and chanced it you will not do well.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
The numerous reports I have from my mentors over the 3 years of placements highlights that I am a fit student nurse as I have never had an action plan created or had any cause for concerns raised over my practice. The uni policy states a students fitness to practice can only be called into question if;
The event took place whilst going to, being on or coming from professional duty, it is a repeat offence or there was aggravating circumstances (which there wasn’t in my case).
Surely alcohol misuse, stress etc would be reasons to suggest that I am not fit for practice?
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student210650)
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
The numerous reports I have from my mentors over the 3 years of placements highlights that I am a fit student nurse as I have never had an action plan created or had any cause for concerns raised over my practice. The uni policy states a students fitness to practice can only be called into question if;
The event took place whilst going to, being on or coming from professional duty, it is a repeat offence or there was aggravating circumstances (which there wasn’t in my case).
Surely alcohol misuse, stress etc would be reasons to suggest that I am not fit for practice?
sorry nope. your conduct at anytime can and will effect your registration. your not on the register you have to convince them your a fit and proper person to be placed there. you honestly need to ask yourself. not on here was this your only time. its rarely the case that your caught on your first time. unless very drunk. here is a case from 2 years ago. they were very lucky. https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/...2-20181102.pdf you must always remember your actions are those of a nurse from registration. we have some of the strictist rules going. you need to prove your not a risk taker. your actions could have caused death.
with luck and lots of real soul searching and work to show this was just a blip. i hope you get the chance to prove yourself. if you do you cant ever cause them to look at your conduct again. if your having problems seek help. your entitled and it will help. your mentors reports will not assist in this matter. again if you have issues seek help. seek union help if your in one. and be aware that your disclosier will always show this.so you can never not declare it. that would be a seperatate offence, again ihope they give you a chance. but its not going to be easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (142)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.75%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.13%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.72%

Watched Threads