BOT192000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was wondering if anyone has experience/advice for a HNC in engineering.. my current situation is that I've finished my level 2 apprenticeship in general engineering, i am now currently employed full time at the company and have been for 2 years now.
Im 19 years old and I feel like it would be a waste to just settle with a level 2 qualification.

My job is well paid and I know if I was to be made redundant etc I wouldn't be able to get the same pay anywhere else as level 2 is very basic.
I have been looking into HNC courses part time with the hope of getting into university after completion to build even further.

My problem is that I didn't do very well in my GCSE's and only got about 4 grades C-A which doesn't include Maths or Science.
Im a lot more determined than I was back then however I don't have a clue how to go about getting my HNC done as a lot of courses have an entry requirement that I don't meet due to GCSE.
I didn't necessarily want to take on a level 3 btec as I dont think it will be as beneficial and as I'm working full time I'm limited on time.

I know that entry requirements are there for a reason but I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this and whether my level 2 and work experience will be enough to get onto a HNC?

Thanks
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's hopefully possible, i've done something similar. Messed up GCSE's years back, did a City and Guilds Level 2 more recently (roughly the same as btec 2?) and that was just enough to get me onto the HNC, but it was made clear my grade/reference needed to be topnotch.

Only thing that might hold you back for now is youth, i'm a bit older with more career exp to draw on but you're on the same path, they might not let you do it right now, but with a year or two more exp? You could prob make a strong case for admission. The best thing about applying as a mature student is that you CAN make a case for yourself, grades or no grade.
BOT192000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
It's hopefully possible, i've done something similar. Messed up GCSE's years back, did a City and Guilds Level 2 more recently (roughly the same as btec 2?) and that was just enough to get me onto the HNC, but it was made clear my grade/reference needed to be topnotch.

Only thing that might hold you back for now is youth, i'm a bit older with more career exp to draw on but you're on the same path, they might not let you do it right now, but with a year or two more exp? You could prob make a strong case for admission. The best thing about applying as a mature student is that you CAN make a case for yourself, grades or no grade.
Hi, I appreciate the response.. did you do the hnc full time then in a college because I’ve got in contact with some online distant learning providers and some don’t require specific grades to do the hnc but I’m guessing them providers aren’t as credible compared to doing it in a college/university.

How did your HNC go is it manage able to get a top grade even tho you haven’t had the education in maths and other subjects for a while?
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BOT192000)
I was wondering if anyone has experience/advice for a HNC in engineering.. my current situation is that I've finished my level 2 apprenticeship in general engineering, i am now currently employed full time at the company and have been for 2 years now.
Im 19 years old and I feel like it would be a waste to just settle with a level 2 qualification.

My job is well paid and I know if I was to be made redundant etc I wouldn't be able to get the same pay anywhere else as level 2 is very basic.
I have been looking into HNC courses part time with the hope of getting into university after completion to build even further.

My problem is that I didn't do very well in my GCSE's and only got about 4 grades C-A which doesn't include Maths or Science.
Im a lot more determined than I was back then however I don't have a clue how to go about getting my HNC done as a lot of courses have an entry requirement that I don't meet due to GCSE.
I didn't necessarily want to take on a level 3 btec as I dont think it will be as beneficial and as I'm working full time I'm limited on time.

I know that entry requirements are there for a reason but I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this and whether my level 2 and work experience will be enough to get onto a HNC?

Thanks
What do you do at your work, mechanical or welding? Was the apprenticeship only 2 or 3 years?

I stayed on at school, then HNC electrical engineering then uni for a 5 masters degree in electrical engineering

If I could go back I would have tried to get into an electrical apprenticeship and taken engineering college courses until I could get one. I thought that the 3rd or 4th year of an electrical apprenticeship was similar to the HNC

Uni is only good if you want to work in an office and those jobs are not neccesarily better paid than practical engineering ones
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads