The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford?

I got an A in mathematics C1 89 C2 79 S1 77. Then I got Further mathematics FP1 75 D1 69. I will resit FP1 and do M1, M2, FP2, FP3 and FP4, this year.

However, my marks are low. Espically in mathematics as I made some silly mistakes, so I will resist this.

But, should I apply to Oxford, since I didn't get average of 90%. I think I made alot of mistakes, that I won't be making this year. However, I have to do some retaking.

My other subject include an A in psychology and a B in history.

Do you provide UMS scores in UCAS? do they look at it. I think I will get an AAA in further mathematics, mathematics and psychology overall when I finished. My FP1 is only about five marks from an A, I think I can improve this.

Also, does average of 82% mean you will do poor on a math degree if you make into Oxford? because this worries me. Espically, FP1.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AS maths is easy you could have got atleast 90%.
If you succeed in getting those grades, there's nothing stopping you; however you must perform well in the interview and the personal statement, but there's no harm trying
Reply 3
AS maths is easy you could have got atleast 90%.

Yeah, however I'm not that good at tedious stuff. S1 I made a huge mistake on the last two questions and C2, I made mistake with logs.

I think I will get an average of 90% at A2. C3, C4 and S1 look easier.

If you succeed in getting those grades, there's nothing stopping you; however you must perform well in the interview and the personal statement, but there's no harm trying

Okay, I will try. I think I can do well in the interview and in the admission test.
oxford don't see your UMS scores anyway, only the unit grades.
Reply 5
oxford don't see your UMS scores anyway, only the unit grades.

So they will see that I got a B in C2 and S1, but they won't see my overall score. I got an A overall, would they see that?

Well, I'm not going to get into Oxford, at this rate I won't even get an interview.
Simplicity
So they will see that I got a B in C2 and S1, but they won't see my overall score. I got an A overall, would they see that?

Well, I'm not going to get into Oxford, at this rate I won't even get an interview.

mhmmm, they'll see those B grades and see the A overall.
Reply 7
Simplicity
Yeah, however I'm not that good at tedious stuff. S1 I made a huge mistake on the last two questions and C2, I made mistake with logs.

I think I will get an average of 90% at A2. C3, C4 and S1 look easier.

Okay, I will try. I think I can do well in the interview and in the admission test.

There was only one log question in june 08, i messed it up i think? I got 94%
Simplicity

That's my line.

If you or your school don't cash in your AS grades they don't see any of your grades anyway, just your predictions.
Reply 9
There was only one log question in june 08, i messed it up i think? I got 94%

There was three.

mhmmm, they'll see those B grades and see the A overall.

Okay.

If you or your school don't cash in your AS grades they don't see any of your grades anyway, just your predictions.

What if I resist C2 and S1? what happens then. Do I give out the grades or just the predicted grades?
necessarily benevolent
That's my line.

is it possible to leave grades as 'pending' on UCAS if you're getting them re-marked and don't want the universities to see the original suspect result? i don't know because i can't seem to get onto UCAS to edit my form today :s-smilie:
rainbow drops
is it possible to leave grades as 'pending' on UCAS if you're getting them re-marked and don't want the universities to see the original suspect result? i don't know because i can't seem to get onto UCAS to edit my form today :s-smilie:

Unless you cash them in you leave them as pending anyway unless you really want to tell them what you got. All they're interested in is whether you're predicted AAA so they know you're capable of fulfilling a typical offer. Barely any of the selection procedure for Oxford is based on ASs. It would be unfair on applicants from schools that don't disclose AS results.
tc123
My schools policy is that nobody cashes in their AS grades due to the new changes. The teachers can talk about what we got in the reference, so basically unless we want our grades to be put down the universities will not find out. Is this the same with anyone else?

It's the same with most schools.
necessarily benevolent
It's the same with most schools.

No it isn't. Most private schools certainly certificate AS levels and a large number of state ones do too.
Reply 14
Short answer: It's one place in 5 - just go for it.
Long answer: Do you know why your grades were lower? If it's just that you slipped up and made mistakes then go for it. Oxford don't see your UMS anyway, so they're not gonna know and it's just up to you to perform at interview and in the tests. However if there was never any chance of you doing better than that in the exams then the chances of you doing well in the admissions tests aren't that good. I self taught maths and got some 100 UMS and there's still no way I would have got in for maths. It's worth a shot - but not worth dashing your hopes.
Reply 15
oxford do not care at all about grades....just have 4 A predictions and don't declare your Bs
Micky13
oxford do not care at all about grades....just have 4 A predictions and don't declare your Bs

Usually it's a 3A prediction. You can't just 'not declare' grades either if they are certificated. A B wouldn't be a massive hindrance in any case.
Reply 17
necessarily benevolent
Usually it's a 3A prediction. You can't just 'not declare' grades either if they are certificated. A B wouldn't be a massive hindrance in any case.

yeh but thats the point - most schools don't certify them because they're only half your A-level and loads of people re-sit them so they're not "concrete" ...so actually u can just not declare grades...loads of my mates did that..they pissed about in AS year...got Bs...then just didnt say what grades u got but put 4A prediction..and they all got in to awesome Unis....
Micky13
yeh but thats the point - most schools don't certify them because they're only half your A-level and loads of people re-sit them so they're not "concrete" ...so actually u can just not declare grades...loads of my mates did that..they pissed about in AS year...got Bs...then just didnt say what grades u got but put 4A prediction..and they all got in to awesome Unis....

It's still very difficult to fulfill an AAA offer with alot of Bs though. If your school does certify them you have to declare your ASs and AS modules, however, this would by no means damage an application if it contained a B or so.
Reply 19
necessarily benevolent
It's still very difficult to fulfill an AAA offer with alot of Bs though. If your school does certify them you have to declare your ASs and AS modules, however, this would by no means damage an application if it contained a B or so.

it really isn't...every one harps on about A2s being hard...they're not bad at all...all pretty chilled to be honest...but yeh your right, obviously its better to have the marks in the bank from AS...but yeh ...it's easy to hide problems you had at AS...hence why the vast majority of schools don't declare marks!....like at our school, wehave the option..if you did veryw ell at AS, you can boast lol and quote all ur UMS marks...but if u do badly, u can see damage limitation by not declaring grades and getting the best possible predictions u can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending