The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Are long term teen relationships, say from ages 16-18 worth the inevitable heartbreak?

Teen heartbreak after having a long relationship is no joke and can be very traumatic.

Heartbreak isn't 'inevitable' - I know a few people who started going out in their teens who are married with families.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Heartbreak isn't 'inevitable' - I know a few people who started going out in their teens who are married with families.

That’s true but evidence is overwhelmingly that relationships at this age will not last. Most result in painful break ups.
Reply 3
For people that have gone through long term teen relationships and the heartbreak, was it worth it? Or would you have preferred to concentrate on yourself?
For people that have gone through long term teen relationships and the heartbreak, was it worth it? Or would you have preferred to concentrate on yourself?

It was worth it. Ended earlier this year but it meant that we got to experience what a relationship should be like.
Judging by the number of threads there are from people who are in their latter teenage years or early twenties and not in relationships now or beforehand, you may get few responses to the 'was it worth it' question.
That’s true but evidence is overwhelmingly that relationships at this age will not last. Most result in painful break ups.

People normally just outgrow each other and drift apart - I can't think of many 'painful' break ups I knew of.
Reply 7
It was worth it. Ended earlier this year but it meant that we got to experience what a relationship should be like.

How long did you last and what age are you both?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
People normally just outgrow each other and drift apart - I can't think of many 'painful' break ups I knew of.

It’s funny but for a few people I know, it’s usually one person that grows away if that makes sense and although it’s natural it’s still painful for them
Reply 9
Original post by barnetlad
Judging by the number of threads there are from people who are in their latter teenage years or early twenties and not in relationships now or beforehand, you may get few responses to the 'was it worth it' question.

Oh yeah lol
How long did you last and what age are you both?

We were both 18. It lasted a year and a half.
We were both 18. It lasted a year and a half.

Sorry about that, at least you feel it was worth it. It’ll better equip you for future relationships too
Sorry about that, at least you feel it was worth it. It’ll better equip you for future relationships too

The break up wasn’t messy or painful. Thanks, I hope I do learn for future relationships
Original post by TheStarboy
The break up wasn’t messy or painful. Thanks, I hope I do learn for future relationships

I find it fascinating that you were together for a year and a half and didn’t find it ending painful. That’s a good thing I guess though!
I find it fascinating that you were together for a year and a half and didn’t find it ending painful. That’s a good thing I guess though!

We knew things were coming to an end anyway. We enjoyed it while it lasted. Now we are ready to move on
Original post by TheStarboy
We knew things were coming to an end anyway. We enjoyed it while it lasted. Now we are ready to move on

That’s an ideal scenario and sounds like you’re both very mature, good luck.
That’s an ideal scenario and sounds like you’re both very mature, good luck.

Thanks. If you also need advice, you can always message me or ask.
When you have relationships at a young age, I think it's as much about finding out what you don't want as what you do. Some people are lucky and find what they want right away, but for those who don't, failed teen relationships are a brilliant (albeit painful) life lesson. I always feel sorry for people who don't have relationships until their 20s because it seems a lot harsher to learn these lessons at that point for some reason.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
When you have relationships at a young age, I think it's as much about finding out what you don't want as what you do. Some people are lucky and find what they want right away, but for those who don't, failed teen relationships are a brilliant (albeit painful) life lesson. I always feel sorry for people who don't have relationships until their 20s because it seems a lot harsher to learn these lessons at that point for some reason.

Atm I’m in a relationship 8/9 months strong and no problems so far, it’s been fantastic and it feels like I’ve met my soul mate but on the other hand I worry about when it’ll end.
Atm I’m in a relationship 8/9 months strong and no problems so far, it’s been fantastic and it feels like I’ve met my soul mate but on the other hand I worry about when it’ll end.

It might not end. There are plenty of examples of people who meet as teenagers and remain together until old age.

You shouldn't go through a relationship thinking about what you'll feel like if it ends. It's interesting to me that you use the word 'when'. Like it's set in stone. That isn't very positive!

You don't know what will happen as you get older. You might grow apart and break up but not be sad about it. You might fall out of love, and end up being the one ending things - even though you can't imagine that now.

Don't look too far into the future. Just enjoy your life now, and see where it takes you.

I remember when I was 16, there was this boy and I thought I would die if I wasn't with him. I'm now 29, literally never think about him, and only thought about him because this conversation made me remember. I feel no emotion towards him, no urge to reach out, nothing. I have 100% moved on, even though I would never have thought that possible when I was 16.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending