The Student Room Group

grade 9 english language

how do i achieve higher grades in english language? i'm currently in year 10 working at a grade 6 for english language however i get grade 8's on my english lit essays. any tips would be apreciated thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I'd say just practice past papers. That way you can see where you're not as strong and it will help you in the exam so much
Original post by mollyburkex
how do i achieve higher grades in english language? i'm currently in year 10 working at a grade 6 for english language however i get grade 8's on my english lit essays. any tips would be apreciated thank you :smile:

Which part of the paper do you generally lose marks on? If it's the question at the end where you write your own story/description, practice writing stories. For me (I got grade 9 in English language, subtle flex lmao) I memorised a part of a description that I wrote which I was proud of, and the description was relatively vague so I could input it into any story or description smoothly enough for it to look natural.. it also helped me conjure up more ideas when writing.

Do practice papers in exam conditions without help so you can identify your worse areas. Once you know your areas you need to work on just practice, in order to improve my grades in the reading section i made sure what the examiners are looking for eg AO1, AO2 etc and for narrative writing i learnt a narrative which i would adapt to fit the question or would use the higher level vocabulary to help improve my marks.
Reply 4

I was in the same position as you when I was in year 10. I kept on getting 4s and 5s and my teacher that there was no way I was gonna get anything above a 6. I made a list of any potential topics that could come up in the exam for all my books and poems and made essay plans for as many themes and characters as I can. It is kinda pointless to write essays for all of them cos some themes and characters overlap so don't worry if you can't write all of them.

TBH, Mr Bruff and Stacey Ray were the ones the gave me that 9 (still can't believe it 8 months later) at the end. Get used to the Grade 8/9 terminology that they use in their videos or other resources that you use. Write those down on the essay plans that you make so when you come to revise from you know to use those words when talking about that theme/character.

Hope this helped!:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Which part of the paper do you generally lose marks on? If it's the question at the end where you write your own story/description, practice writing stories. For me (I got grade 9 in English language, subtle flex lmao) I memorised a part of a description that I wrote which I was proud of, and the description was relatively vague so I could input it into any story or description smoothly enough for it to look natural.. it also helped me conjure up more ideas when writing.

i usually loose marks on the writers structure question (question 3) and the to what extent do you agree question (question 4). I'm going to try and come up with something before my next mock for the creative writing part and then change it to suit the prompt and see what marks i get on that. if i score high i'll use the same idea again. thank you btw :smile:
i usually loose marks on the writers structure question (question 3) and the to what extent do you agree question (question 4). I'm going to try and come up with something before my next mock for the creative writing part and then change it to suit the prompt and see what marks i get on that. if i score high i'll use the same idea again. thank you btw :smile:

No problem, and I've attached a website blog I used before the exam for question 3 & 4, it genuinely helped me a lot.

https://madameanglaise.wordpress.com/2018/01/23/tips-for-answering-aqa-gcse-english-language-paper-1-question-3/
https://madameanglaise.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/tips-to-help-you-with-aqa-gcse-english-language-paper-1-question-4/
If you look around the site, you'll find some more useful tips, examples, etc for every question - both papers too!
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 7

it can definitely happen, but Id say focus on watching videos on YouTube about ways to structure your writing (as its a major thing ) and read example essays with a grade 9 and steal their critique! Eventually, you will begin to write like them after enough practise and reading of exemplar essays.
good luck!
Reply 8

I was working at a 5 during year 10 and ended up with a 9. I did as many practice papers I could, in timed conditions and got my teacher to mark them all. I worked a lot on creative writing as well. Definitely watch Mr Bruff, he really helped me.

Quick Reply