astoldbybee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone. I have to write an essay for my History homework, however, with all the coronavirus situation, our teachers haven't paid as much attention to our studies and stopped giving us any information, making our studies absolutely independent. This is a big problem for me, as it came to the point where I don't know what to write in my essay. So, if anyone can help, could you give any hints about what can I write in an essay with the next title:

"The grievances expressed in the Short, and early months of the Long Parliament indicated a united reaction to the Personal Rule of Charles I". Assess the validity of this view.

Thank you so much.
Steve Wyne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Much of the essay writing tutorials are accessible online free of charge. Alternatively you may also engage services of online tutors (at a fee). try homeworkelites.com
catastrophe—
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hi, i don’t know if you’re doing gcse or a levels so i’m not sure how much detail you need, but i’d talk about Pym and the Grand Remonstrance and the 3 resolutions to show that Parliament were united against Charles’s actions, and talk about the split in votes in Parliament (the grand remonstrance was passed by 11 votes) to show that there was an emerging split between constitutional royalists and Parliamentarians
i haven’t revised this in a while lmao but i hope it gave you some ideas
SReeves157
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by catastrophe—)
hi, i don’t know if you’re doing gcse or a levels so i’m not sure how much detail you need, but i’d talk about Pym and the Grand Remonstrance and the 3 resolutions to show that Parliament were united against Charles’s actions, and talk about the split in votes in Parliament (the grand remonstrance was passed by 11 votes) to show that there was an emerging split between constitutional royalists and Parliamentarians
i haven’t revised this in a while lmao but i hope it gave you some ideas
I agree with this. I would certainly talk about Pym and the Grand Remonstrance intentionally being basically a total rundown of everything Charles had ever done wrong 1629-40. Could also mention Triennial Act 1641 as being along same lines.
I would also potentially discuss the very very clear Arminian/pro-Catholic approach of Personal rule (Laud, Finch, Windebank and Wentworth particularly, as attacking them was literally the first thing Long Parliament did), and how Long and Short Parliament's stance on religion was a very deliberate reaction to Personal rule.

But there is certainly room to counter the argument that ALL of the Long/Short parliament's actions were reactions to Personal Rule. The very close passage of the Grand Remonstrance is evidence of that, as is the substantial support for Hyde's constitutional royalists. Also the House of Lords was extremely reluctant throughout the whole business to totally side with Pym against the King - all the business with Laud's impeachment which they refused to pass, so MPs had to pass Act of Attainder instead.
Also, many of these issues had been around for years before Personal Rule, and were certainly around when he came to power in 1625: crown subsidies, which were an issue in Short Parliament were problem in 1625, and issues of religion (Puritan MPs had been a problem for a long time!)

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads