Lucy.chem49
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,
I am a year 12 student currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I am hoping to get into the pharmaceutical industry. For the last nine months have wanted to do a Medicinal Chemistry degree. I adore alevel chemistry, particularly organic, and I have been able to score consistent A-A* grades in my end of chapter alevel tests without too much stress. The only thing holding me back from a chemistry degree is the fact I don’t do alevel maths. Although I scored a 7 (A) at GCSE I didn’t take it for alevel as it’s not something I’m particularly passionate about or naturally excelled at. Maths doesn’t bother me at all in alevel chemistry. But I’m really worried about being out of my depth in a chemistry degree (I am aware many chem degree students do maths and further maths at alevel.) I am willing to work hard but I’m very conscious I don’t want to be really behind and stressed at uni. I understand that going from an alevel class of 6 students (chemistry is very unpopular in our sixth form) with two great teachers to uni lectures and labs is a massive step up.

So I am wondering if I may be more suited to a pharmacology degree. I would describe myself as a ‘chemist first biologist second’ so I have slight reservations about doing a ‘biological science.’ I have heard VERY mixed opinions about both degrees and post grad prospects. I’m really confused over which would suit me best?
I will probably do a masters, potentially a PHD and at the moment my first and second choice unis will probably be:
-Southampton &Warwick (MedChem)
- UCL &Bristol (pharmacology)
Unfortunately the current COVID 19 situation makes talking to admissions tutors and professors at uni open days impossible. I would really appreciate any advice!!!!
Lucy.chem49
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,
I am a year 12 student currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I am hoping to get into the pharmaceutical industry. For the last nine months have wanted to do a Medicinal Chemistry degree. I adore alevel chemistry, particularly organic, and I have been able to score consistent A-A* grades in my end of chapter alevel tests without too much stress. The only thing holding me back from a chemistry degree is the fact I don’t do alevel maths. Although I scored a 7 (A) at GCSE I didn’t take it for alevel as it’s not something I’m particularly passionate about or naturally excelled at. Maths doesn’t bother me at all in alevel chemistry. But I’m really worried about being out of my depth in a chemistry degree (I am aware many chem degree students do maths and further maths at alevel.) I am willing to work hard but I’m very conscious I don’t want to be really behind and stressed at uni. I understand that going from an alevel class of 6 students (chemistry is very unpopular in our sixth form) with two great teachers to uni lectures and labs is a massive step up.

So I am wondering if I may be more suited to a pharmacology degree. I would describe myself as a ‘chemist first biologist second’ so I have slight reservations about doing a ‘biological science.’ I have heard VERY mixed opinions about both degrees and post grad prospects. I’m really confused over which would suit me best?
I will probably do a masters, potentially a PHD and at the moment my first and second choice unis will probably be:
Unfortunately the current COVID 19 situation makes talking to admissions tutors and professors at uni open days impossible. I would really appreciate any advice!!!!
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lucy.chem49)
Hi all,

Hi you've got some responses in your thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...254&highlight=
I've merged your other 2 threads together.
Please in the future, make one thread on this topic and if you're not getting respondents then you can post in it after a few hours so that people can find it again.
Thank you,
Cheese
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (29)
18.95%
I'm not sure (3)
1.96%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
34.64%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.96%
I'm not a current university student (65)
42.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed