The Student Room Group

GCSEs

I'm in Year 10 and it's May now, so I have about a year and a bit left to revise for GCSE. Should I have started revising earlier in Year 9 or is now the perfect time to revise? Also, any advice on how to revise! Thank you so much.
Reply 1
Honestly I wouldn’t start revising in y10. If you want to revise early then Christmas holidays of y11 but even then that’s really early than what people normally do. If you want to help yourself later on then start making your notes on all of your topics so when you come to seriously revise for GCSE’s you don’t have to waste time writing out notes. I didn’t do this and definitely regret it as it would have saved a lot of time in the long run.
I dont think i started revising till a month before GCSEs, but dont do that! But you certainly dont need to start in year 9! Make sure you revise for mocks and then have a break for like a couple months and start again and you will be fine! Do your homework you are clearly dedicated and motivated so don't stress.

Half of GCSEs is exam technique. Learn passively all the time like stick the names of objects in french around your house if you are learning french for example. Or stick equations or formula you need to know somewhere you look everyday!

I found the best revision for me was practise! I didn't have a problem with content, just the exam technique so I went on physics and maths tutor and did all the questions there ever was for the subjects I was studying, admittedly I only did this for A Level because I was not bothered and super lazy during GCSEs. For English I did however find like 5 quotes memorised them and then memorised points to make in essay on nearly every question they can ask you. So like Of Mice and Men there is a quote "Curly's wife had a red dress." I could relate it to sexism then and now, she doesn't get a name, she is curly's property, the heirachy then, its a book written when racism was prevalent yet she doesn't get a name. The red is foreboding, or symbolises passion. I could write about foreboding, love, sexism, racism, Curly's relationship with her and Lennie's relationship with her as well.

My best friend was awesome at exam technique not great at the content, she mad tonnes of flashcards and posters etc.

A technique we both found useful was summaries an entire topic onto 1 A4 sheet, write in colours it helps, doesn't need to be need tho. Then do exam questions, anything you wrote on your sheet that didn't come up probably didnt deserve to be there and extra stuff like exam technique was written in red. She would rewrite the sheets to be neater, I was lazy and didnt, but we hung them up on the walls of our bedrooms and then passively learnt the sheets whilst actively learning other topics. We could take the notes to our lessons or right before exams etc.
Its good to get stuff in your long term memory but you'll lose lots of info if you revise this far in advance! I wouldn't call it a waste of time but time will be wasted. Be sure not to burn out as well

Good luck
year 9's early for revision, you don't want to burn out!! now would be a good time to look at all the content you've covered so far and ensure you've made good notes for them. the better organised you are, the less stressful exam season will be :yep: you don't need to be doing 5 hours of revision a day at this point, just some light revision to keep some of the content fresh and organising your notes if you have any.

there's no correct revision method as different people will have different preferred methods but ones that use active recall are better ie. flashcards and summary questions in exam conditions. you need to be regularly revising too so things get drilled into your long term memory.

Quick Reply

Latest