Does (PCOS)Amenorrhea count as extenuating circumstance?

Watch
tina123321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have been suffered from PCOS for two years. In the beginning I had no periods at all and after few effective treatments, my periods came back again even they are irregular. However, since last November, my period suddenly stopped again, this time I suffered more PCOS symptoms such as weight gain, hair loss, acne, feeling tired and quite sever pelvic pain.Also, two sever winter colds ( it normally took me 3-4days to be recovered from a winter cold but I had two winter colds that took me 7-8 days to be recovered I did not got to a GP straight away as I had similar symptoms before and I thought I could get over it myself this time plus my GP had told me before that amenorrhea (which you must see a doctor) is when you miss your periods more than 3 months. During this 3-4months time,these symptoms affected my study quite a lot so I did not do very well on my end term exams. Should I contact my study advisor about this? Does this counts as extenuating Circumstance?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tina123321)
I have been suffered from PCOS for two years. In the beginning I had no periods at all and after few effective treatments, my periods came back again even they are irregular. However, since last November, my period suddenly stopped again, this time I suffered more PCOS symptoms such as weight gain, hair loss, acne, feeling tired and quite sever pelvic pain.Also, two sever winter colds ( it normally took me 3-4days to be recovered from a winter cold but I had two winter colds that took me 7-8 days to be recovered I did not got to a GP straight away as I had similar symptoms before and I thought I could get over it myself this time plus my GP had told me before that amenorrhea (which you must see a doctor) is when you miss your periods more than 3 months. During this 3-4months time,these symptoms affected my study quite a lot so I did not do very well on my end term exams. Should I contact my study advisor about this? Does this counts as extenuating Circumstance?
Did you actually go to the GP during that 3/4 month period? If not, GPs do not issue retrospective doctor's notes, so you might need to talk to your university about what they would accept for evidence. Speak to your personal tutor about what you need to do, and whether it's possible to make a claim given your circumstances and (potential lack of) evidence.
tina123321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you for your reply! I did not go to the GP, this is because my GP has told me that you should normally have at least 4 periods every year so I wanted to wait for 3 months months and if my period does not come the next month after that, I would go to my GP. Also, i worried If I go to the GP, he probably gonna give me contraception pills which have many side effects and affect my study (the course I am doing is quite intensive. ) if my tutor thinks I can use this as an excuse, I can go to the GP later ask for a proof that I have this PCOS (long-term illness) and symptoms can be suddenly worsened? Is this going to work?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tina123321)
Thank you for your reply! I did not go to the GP, this is because my GP has told me that you should normally have at least 4 periods every year so I wanted to wait for 3 months months and if my period does not come the next month after that, I would go to my GP. Also, i worried If I go to the GP, he probably gonna give me contraception pills which have many side effects and affect my study (the course I am doing is quite intensive. ) if my tutor thinks I can use this as an excuse, I can go to the GP later ask for a proof that I have this PCOS (long-term illness) and symptoms can be suddenly worsened? Is this going to work?
Evidence of the existence of your condition may not be enough, as that is not technically evidence of your recent flare-up. They will just ask you why you didn't go to your GP at the time - worrying about going isn't necessarily a good enough reason to not get evidence, although I know that doctors can cause anxiety in some people. As I say, discuss it with your personal tutor, and see what they advise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.69%
I'm not sure (32)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (224)
31.28%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.37%
I'm not a current university student (345)
48.18%

Watched Threads