BSc (Honours) Computing & IT (Software) Opinions

Watch
username5272280
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Howdy,

I'm currently a Systems Administrator for a SBE, but the long term goal is Cyber Security. Working for a company like GCHQ is the true dream for me. I have a fairly decent understanding of PowerShell, but that's about the only scripting language I know at the minute. I can do the basics with HTML/CSS, although I know these are markup languages; not scripting or programming.

I've narrowed down two courses which I feel may be the most beneficial to me and would appreciate some advice on one of them:

The course is BSc (Honours) Computing & IT (Software)
This is OU's equivelent of a Computer Science/Software Development degree, and I was thinking something like this would be one good option, as I know this can potentially open more avenues and I've heard this is quite heavily relied upon in the Cyber Security field.

My two concerns with this are whether the course material is both up to date and relevant, as well as whether it is in depth enough.

I was wondering if anyone has completed this degree recently, and if so can you share your experience; course content, how up to date it was, how in depth it was, structure, etc.

I can commit to this, but if it isn't going to be worth it I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks
Advertisement
Hello838474
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There is a cyber security degree
Dan-B
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've signed up for BSc Computer & IT (Software) starting in October. After many, many hours of research and years of deliberation, it was the best option. I'm a Product Manager currently and I know whatever I do in the software industry almost every single module will benefit my career in one way or another.

As Hello838474 mentioned there's a Cyber Security degree: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/comput...r-security-r60

To be honest, unless you are absolutely set on Cyber Security the Computer & IT degree will give you more options career-wise. Cyber Security is not for everyone.
Advertisement
schabowy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The Cyber Security degree is not accredited by the BCS, while the Computing & IT course is
Danielfdsuv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm in the same boat as you, kind of. I actually posted something myself but no answers unfortunately (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6586156). My fear is that aside from a few courses I won't get much value out of this degree because I already know more than half the stuff. So I've started thinking about an open degree instead where I can pick and choose harder (for me) courses that I know little or nothing about or areas that hope to deepen my understanding in (electronics, engineering, maths etc)
Advertisement
username5272280
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
schabowy Exactly, which is the primary reason I didn't list that one - the other being the fact that the course material hasn't even been finalised yet.

Danielfdsuv Take a look at The University of Hertfordshire as they have an online BSc in Computer Science. The course itself is exactly the same as if you were attending the Uni in person, minus a couple of modules (Quantum Computing and Robotics I believe). I just received my unconditional offer back two days ago and have confirmed my acceptance for a September 2020 start!

Dan-B Word of warning - I opted against the Open Uni because I found a few people who were currently studying it and started speaking to them about their experiences. All three of them said they regretted taking the course as the material was very basic, dry, and severely outdated. They have their own 'language' which is based loosely on Visual Basic, which was officially declared legacy in 2008. Think about that for a minute!
Last edited by username5272280; 2 months ago
Danielfdsuv
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheD4rkSide)
schabowy Exactly, which is the primary reason I didn't list that one - the other being the fact that the course material hasn't even been finalised yet.

Danielfdsuv Take a look at The University of Hertfordshire as they have an online BSc in Computer Science. The course itself is exactly the same as if you were attending the Uni in person, minus a couple of modules (Quantum Computing and Robotics I believe). I just received my unconditional offer back two days ago and have confirmed my acceptance for a September 2020 start!

Dan-B Word of warning - I opted against the Open Uni because I found a few people who were currently studying it and started speaking to them about their experiences. All three of them said they regretted taking the course as the material was very basic, dry, and severely outdated. They have their own 'language' which is based loosely on Visual Basic, which was officially declared legacy in 2008. Think about that for a minute!
Thanks for the suggestion. Btw, what do you mean they use visual basic? I've seen no mention of it.. I've only seen a module based on Java, and python being mentioned in some other ones in passing

Edit: I've had a quick look at the Hertfordshire university website, and it looks like they offer two degrees online -- Cs and information technology. I have to say though, much like with the open university, they're almost the same thing. I'll look more closely though and see what I can dig up about the curriculum etc
Last edited by Danielfdsuv; 2 months ago
Advertisement
username5272280
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Danielfdsuv)
Thanks for the suggestion. Btw, what do you mean they use visual basic? I've seen no mention of it.. I've only seen a module based on Java, and python being mentioned in some other ones in passing

Edit: I've had a quick look at the Hertfordshire university website, and it looks like they offer two degrees online -- Cs and information technology. I have to say though, much like with the open university, they're almost the same thing. I'll look more closely though and see what I can dig up about the curriculum etc
Yes I read that on their syllabus, too, but I have a friend who enrolled six months ago who has verified they have their own language that looks to be based on Visual Basic.

With my reference to the University of Hertfordshire, the difference will be in the course content variety, depths delved into and overall subject matter.

I cannot say for certain that the UoH will be better, but after hearing the negatives of the OU from people I trust, I could not bring myself to enroll with them.
Dan-B
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheD4rkSide)
Yes I read that on their syllabus, too, but I have a friend who enrolled six months ago who has verified they have their own language that looks to be based on Visual Basic.

With my reference to the University of Hertfordshire, the difference will be in the course content variety, depths delved into and overall subject matter.

I cannot say for certain that the UoH will be better, but after hearing the negatives of the OU from people I trust, I could not bring myself to enroll with them.
It's a tough choice. Personally I think any technology-based will be out-of-date to some extent, but I don't want to waste time on out of date languages which have no use in the real world!

Do you know anyone who has started BSc Computer Science at UoH?
Advertisement
Danielfdsuv
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dan-B)
It's a tough choice. Personally I think any technology-based will be out-of-date to some extent, but I don't want to waste time on out of date languages which have no use in the real world!

Do you know anyone who has started BSc Computer Science at UoH?
For what it's worth, people on reddit are saying none of them are aware of any visual basic being used and it seems to have been replaced by Java everywhere.
I've also perused all the relevant modules' description and I've seen no mention of visual basic so who knows
Last edited by Danielfdsuv; 2 months ago
Ingvar99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am starting level 3 in Computing and It at ou this year and i can confirm that there is no Visual Basic.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (11)
18.33%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (15)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (4)
6.67%
No, I haven't received any communication (30)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed