UCL MEng KH11 Engineering and Architectural Design vs Sheffield's Architet HK21/HK2D?

Watch
dryve
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
The question asked was :
I'm really interested in the engineering and architectural design course at UCL, and I'm trying to decide between Sheffield's architectural engineering course and this one. I was checking out the review you gave to the course a while back, and I was wondering if you still have the same views on it. Do you still think it's good mix of engineering and architecture, and that it has a wholistic view on the built environment?
dryve
Rep:
?
(Original post by dryve)
The question asked was :
I'm really interested in the engineering and architectural design course at UCL, and I'm trying to decide between Sheffield's architectural engineering course and this one. I was checking out the review you gave to the course a while back, and I was wondering if you still have the same views on it. Do you still think it's good mix of engineering and architecture, and that it has a wholistic view on the built environment?
My answer:
Yh I too was in the similar predicament as you, I was split between the MEng at UCL and the structural engineering with Architecture at Sheffield. There are many different factors between choosing the courses in which I will list some.

References:
HK2D-Sheffield Architectural engineering
HK21- Sheffield Structural Engineering and Architecture

Firstly accreditation, The UCL course is fairly new so it has yet to be accredited BUT the course is fit to be accredited by 3 different bodies, JBM for civil/structural engineering, CIBSE for building service/”environmental” engineering and RIBA/ARB for Architecture part 1. The likelihood is the 3 accreditations is quite high.
In contrast, the HK2D architectural engineering offers the same accreditation EXCLUDING the Architecture accreditation, which was the deal breaker for me, therefore solely engineering. But if you do not mind going into Architecture based engineering, not Architecture AND engineering, the HK2D course is fit more fit you. Also, it is accredited by the institute of mechanical engineering meaning you could be a mechanical engineer if you want.
Furthermore, if you really want to do Architecture alongside BOTH building service engineering and civil engineering then the UCL course is fit, in addition, the well-known school of the built environment, Bartlett. If you want to do primarily structural engineering and architecture with accreditations in both, then the HK21 course is fit.

Secondly, university choice. This is more down to personal preference, if you want a city campus in the centre of London with busy streets and off-campus accommodation then UCL could be for you. I personally commute from home as I live in London but from what I’ve heard lots of people get UoL accommodation as UCL accommodation is the best in comparison to others and may not be convenient to the course. This being because the Meng has TWO campuses, one in east London which is quite far from the main campus (roughly 30 min by packed tube) and of course the main UCL campus.

In contrast, I have seen that Sheffield university has one of the best accommodation in the UK(2018 ranking) and a real on-campus feel to it. Also, it is not as busy as London and the facilities are quite close to each other. Thus can be a pro and a con as its more relaxed but may not be as diverse and different as London( both things to do and people).

Lastly, the integrated approach. Now I would know too much on how the Sheffield courses are integrated but by reviewing the modules some modules seem traditional to their field and a few seem integrated. But as I go to UCL I can definitely say they are focusing on the integrated approach. Apart from Maths(it’s a different department), all the modules are interlinked and crossover and are used in the design projects. They push the idea of thinking as a building designer rather than an architect or engineer which is a rapidly emerging view with top firms like Fosters+ Partners, AECOM, ARUP and more who now have in house engineers and architects working alongside one another. These companies endorse the UCL course as well and are hugely welcoming it for the future as the view is to “reduce the communication between architects and engineers”. I can imagine the HK2D and HK21 course are similar but I cannot guarantee.
dryve
Rep:
?
Courses being discussed: Structural Engineering with Architecture AND Architectural Engineering, any other university students or anyone are free to give their own university course and make comparisons etc to UCL's for example or any university. A student from Sheffield doing any of these courses would be nice here too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (69)
17.88%
No one else does (122)
31.61%
I'm embarrassed about my background (41)
10.62%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (131)
33.94%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.81%
I don't have a camera (9)
2.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed