The Student Room Group

History at a level

Hi I’m planing on taking history,eng Lang and psychology for my A level choices, I was wondering if these are a good match. As for what I want to do at uni, it would probably be history or psychology I’m not sure but I’m more inclined towards history.. wanted some opinions of people who did similar subjects and how they found it. Thanks

hi guys - 5 months later

loving my options, history is hard but I really enjoy it
I decided to do criminology at uni, but thank u so much for the help
xxx
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by spleen girl
Hi I’m planing on taking history,eng Lang and psychology for my A level choices, I was wondering if these are a good match. As for what I want to do at uni, it would probably be history or psychology I’m not sure but I’m more inclined towards history.. wanted some opinions of people who did similar subjects and how they found it. Thanks

Eng lot or Classics go well with it.
They are ok just get high grades and an A or A* with History.

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Original post by 999tigger
Eng lot or Classics go well with it.
They are ok just get high grades and an A or A* with History.

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

It’s the AQA course, is it achievable to get an A* for history, if I work hard?
It’s the AQA course, is it achievable to get an A* for history, if I work hard?

Just under 5% get A* and then 17.7% get A. Someone has to.
Mater your essay writing, have good notes and practice.
Good match in terms of what??? There's not much similar to them except essay writing. Having a good match isnt really important so dont worry about that aspect. I did History AQA and I found it fine since I was interested in the topic. It depends on how you work hard
Hi, might be a bit late, but thought I'd throw this in! I did A Level History, Ancient History, and Sociology (I did English Lang&Lit at AS). Your topics will be really good together, because they're all essay topics - it means more work, but it will really help you in honing your essay skills. The thing I found with doing these topics is that they all intertwine with topics as well, like you can find something in Sociology and think, "oh, so that's why they did that in the past." (that sounded better in my head). This will likely be the same with Psychology, because you get to really understand the actions of Historical figures.
Original post by username2244141
Hi, might be a bit late, but thought I'd throw this in! I did A Level History, Ancient History, and Sociology (I did English Lang&Lit at AS). Your topics will be really good together, because they're all essay topics - it means more work, but it will really help you in honing your essay skills. The thing I found with doing these topics is that they all intertwine with topics as well, like you can find something in Sociology and think, "oh, so that's why they did that in the past." (that sounded better in my head). This will likely be the same with Psychology, because you get to really understand the actions of Historical figures.

hey thanks for this it really helped
Original post by 999tigger
Just under 5% get A* and then 17.7% get A. Someone has to.
Mater your essay writing, have good notes and practice.

thanks for the figures
Hi, I’m about to go into year 13 and I study history, psychology and sociology. I personally found that psychology and history are a good match as I’m able to use examples from history to back up my psychology points in essays. For example how certain Nazi behaviours fit into certain psychological behavioural categories. I’ve also heard from some of my friends that study English language and history that they are a really good combination as the knowledge from English helps them with history essays, especially coursework. However, if at the beginning of term you don’t enjoy the subjects or they aren’t suited to you, some sixth forms and colleges allow you to switch subjects in the first few weeks. I hope this helps.

Hi!

I started college originally intending to study History at university. I took History, Sociology, and English Lit&Lang. Ended up absolutely loving sociology and finding I did a lot better in sociology than history, therefore I now am going into my third year at university studying sociology. The subjects you have chosen (similar to mine) will go really well together, however just be prepared for a lot of essays! It will give you a great variety of knowledge and skills, so I would say they’ll be perfect :smile:

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I started college originally intending to study History at university. I took History, Sociology, and English Lit&Lang. Ended up absolutely loving sociology and finding I did a lot better in sociology than history, therefore I now am going into my third year at university studying sociology. The subjects you have chosen (similar to mine) will go really well together, however just be prepared for a lot of essays! It will give you a great variety of knowledge and skills, so I would say they’ll be perfect :smile:

that was really helpful, thank you
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Original post by SineadH0312
Hi, I’m about to go into year 13 and I study history, psychology and sociology. I personally found that psychology and history are a good match as I’m able to use examples from history to back up my psychology points in essays. For example how certain Nazi behaviours fit into certain psychological behavioural categories. I’ve also heard from some of my friends that study English language and history that they are a really good combination as the knowledge from English helps them with history essays, especially coursework. However, if at the beginning of term you don’t enjoy the subjects or they aren’t suited to you, some sixth forms and colleges allow you to switch subjects in the first few weeks. I hope this helps.

oh that bit about linking them to each other is so helpful, thanks so much

You're welcome, good luck!

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest