The Student Room Group

Can I reject my firm a week after results day?

I have a firm offer which I’m pretty certain I will get the grades for. I want to take a gap year and reject my offer. Can I wait until a week after results day to reject them after my place has been confirmed on results day?
(The reason why I want to do this is because I have a meeting with a uni I want to apply to during my gap year a week after results day, and they will tell me if my application would be competitive enough)
Original post by Academicbee123
I have a firm offer which I’m pretty certain I will get the grades for. I want to take a gap year and reject my offer. Can I wait until a week after results day to reject them after my place has been confirmed on results day?
(The reason why I want to do this is because I have a meeting with a uni I want to apply to during my gap year a week after results day, and they will tell me if my application would be competitive enough)

Yes, you are not bound to attend your firm even if you meet their offer and become unconditional, only if you formally enrol. You can withdraw and apply again next cycle.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, you are not bound to attend your firm even if you meet their offer and become unconditional, only if you formally enrol. You can withdraw and apply again next cycle.

Say I meet my offer and it becomes unconditional and have a place, can I just leave it for a week and then come back to it and withdraw? Will I be charged for my course straight away? If you want to accept it, do you have to click an enrol button or something?
If you want to go to that uni still, I would recommend asking if they'll defer your place, otherwise you'll have to reapply and you might not get a place. If you email them now, they should be able to change it for you so you'll be starting in 2021.
If you meet your offer, it becomes unconditional, and, unless you say something, you'll be expected to start in September. You can leave it for a week.
You won't be charged for you course until you enrol, and enrolment won't be until September.
Say I meet my offer and it becomes unconditional and have a place, can I just leave it for a week and then come back to it and withdraw? Will I be charged for my course straight away? If you want to accept it, do you have to click an enrol button or something?

You’re not liable for any tuition fees until you formally enrol. It’s usually done online about a month before the course starts, although the method and timing might be slightly different at each Uni. The only fees that you might liable for are accommodation deposits and suchlike which are usually non-refundable.
Original post by remussjhj01
If you want to go to that uni still, I would recommend asking if they'll defer your place, otherwise you'll have to reapply and you might not get a place. If you email them now, they should be able to change it for you so you'll be starting in 2021.
If you meet your offer, it becomes unconditional, and, unless you say something, you'll be expected to start in September. You can leave it for a week.
You won't be charged for you course until you enrol, and enrolment won't be until September.

I don’t want to go to that uni next year if I have a chance of getting into my preferred uni the following year, which I will find out a week after results day
Original post by Admit-One
You’re not liable for any tuition fees until you formally enrol. It’s usually done online about a month before the course starts, although the method and timing might be slightly different at each Uni. The only fees that you might liable for are accommodation deposits and suchlike which are usually non-refundable.

Does that mean I can just leave my offer for a week and on UCAS will there be an option to reject it? I will make sure to not sort out any accommodation until the week after results day
I don’t want to go to that uni next year if I have a chance of getting into my preferred uni the following year, which I will find out a week after results day

In that case, yes. You should be able to decline your place after results day. If you wanted to try getting into your preferred uni through clearing for 2020 entry, you could do that too.
The only issue you might run into is your accommodation offer might 'run out'. From what I've seen, you've normally got 3 days to accept the offer before they withdraw it. If you then don't get the grades you want for your preferred uni, you may find yourself struggling to find accommodation.
Why is your proposed university making you wait 4 months for a decision. It doesnt seem sensible.
Original post by swanseajack1
Why is your proposed university making you wait 4 months for a decision. It doesnt seem sensible.

Cambridge offer a service called the ‘post qualification clinic’ for state school students who perform well in their Alevels and consider taking a gap year to apply to them. In the meeting they discuss how competitive your application would be, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending