Hassan116
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Due to the coronavirus I started having doubts as to whether I should go uni this year. I would like to get people’s opinions, since I’m doing law I know it’s very competitive and finding vacation schemes and training contracts will be even harder now that I can’t do things such as careers fairs, networking and such.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I wait it out till next year when there is a better chance of my university experience not being effected by the virus?
Johnny ~
Badges: 13
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Hassan116)
Due to the coronavirus I started having doubts as to whether I should go uni this year. I would like to get people’s opinions, since I’m doing law I know it’s very competitive and finding vacation schemes and training contracts will be even harder now that I can’t do things such as careers fairs, networking and such.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I wait it out till next year when there is a better chance of my university experience not being effected by the virus?
Recruitment events are generally useless unless you make a consistent effort to get your face recognised by grad rec (most people don't). If they cannot be hosted on campus, they will be hosted remotely. So the informational value will still be there.

Open Days for 2021 will probably be going ahead, so you will still be able to attend those physically if you care about that.

I think that there is a genuine risk that firms that are pushing back 2019-2020 spring and summer vac schemers to winter vac schemes may fill up some of the places that would otherwise be used up by 2020-2021 applicants. The same applies to summer 2020 direct TC applicants whose applications will be put on hold until the next cycle (2020-2021). There's also a risk of the general number of TC places for 2020-2021 going down (due to lower business demand, overflow from the current app cycle, etc.) However, this is conjecture on my part. More importantly, it does not apply to you. There's no risk of 'spillover' for first year schemes: no firm, as far as I know, is postponing 2020 first year schemes until 2021. By the time you are eligible for a TC application (2021-2022), the situation will hopefully be back to normal.

Networking is extremely overrated if you're applying to firms with structured graduate recruitment processes. For someone in your position, it's a form of information-gathering. You can gather this information remotely. If you have a decent LinkedIn profile, find a trainee at a firm you're interested in and send them a long and personalised note about how you'd love to talk to them about the firm (hopefully one or two people will reply). There are also mentoring schemes that are open to everyone (unlike Rare, AS, etc., which are diversity and social mobility related). Look into GROW Mentoring: I'm hearing good reviews.

Of course, university is much more than a bunch of law firm applications. If you don't want to be joining a smaller cohort that won't get the full Freshers/halls experience, don't start this year. That's a perfectly valid choice. However, it's worth trying to find a job to do for 12 months if you do decide to defer. Any temp job will be valued by law firms.
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Recruitment events are generally useless unless you make a consistent effort to get your face recognised by grad rec (most people don't). If they cannot be hosted on campus, they will be hosted remotely. So the informational value will still be there.

Open Days for 2021 will probably be going ahead, so you will still be able to attend those physically if you care about that.

I think that there is a genuine risk that firms that are pushing back 2019-2020 spring and summer vac schemers to winter vac schemes may fill up some of the places that would otherwise be used up by 2020-2021 applicants. The same applies to summer 2020 direct TC applicants whose applications will be put on hold until the next cycle (2020-2021). There's also a risk of the general number of TC places for 2020-2021 going down (due to lower business demand, overflow from the current app cycle, etc.) However, this is conjecture on my part. More importantly, it does not apply to you. There's no risk of 'spillover' for first year schemes: no firm, as far as I know, is postponing 2020 first year schemes until 2021. By the time you are eligible for a TC application (2021-2022), the situation will hopefully be back to normal.

Networking is extremely overrated if you're applying to firms with structured graduate recruitment processes. For someone in your position, it's a form of information-gathering. You can gather this information remotely. If you have a decent LinkedIn profile, find a trainee at a firm you're interested in and send them a long and personalised note about how you'd love to talk to them about the firm (hopefully one or two people will reply). There are also mentoring schemes that are open to everyone (unlike Rare, AS, etc., which are diversity and social mobility related). Look into GROW Mentoring: I'm hearing good reviews.

Of course, university is much more than a bunch of law firm applications. If you don't want to be joining a smaller cohort that won't get the full Freshers/halls experience, don't start this year. That's a perfectly valid choice. However, it's worth trying to find a job to do for 12 months if you do decide to defer. Any temp job will be valued by law firms.
Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate the feedback and it’s put my mind at ease. I really do hope to secure employment during my time at uni so I don’t have to worry about the stress of finding a job after, but equally I also want the university experience aswell. I’ll just have to see how this whole situation goes before I make a firm decision.
Johnny ~
Badges: 13
Report 8 months ago
I should add that online internships are available for a variety of sectors, including law. These have more informational value than a face-to-face open day, workshop, networking dinner, etc., and can be done remotely. Take a look at: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.c...ted-list.2293/ if you're interested in commercial law.
CharlotteAmiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi I am also a student that has applied for the 2020 academic year and most likely deferring my place. I just feel everything is so up in the air the social life of university such as freshers will almost definitely not be happening. Some unis are considering online teaching which won’t benefit me personally as I prefer learning in a class like environment. I suppose the choice is up to you and your best interests.
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharlotteAmiee)
Hi I am also a student that has applied for the 2020 academic year and most likely deferring my place. I just feel everything is so up in the air the social life of university such as freshers will almost definitely not be happening. Some unis are considering online teaching which won’t benefit me personally as I prefer learning in a class like environment. I suppose the choice is up to you and your best interests.
Yh that’s another problem with this whole situation isn’t it. I feel like we wouldn’t get our money’s worth if we’re just staying at home, learning online rather than actually using the resources and facilities we’re entitled to. I guess if they reduced tuition fees that would be a better compromise for students going to and those who are currently studying now at uni.
IzzyOfThePeak
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Hassan116)

I imagine this must be really hard if you are starting your first year of university. A good argument for going now is to start and make progress anyway, although I can see why this might be really unappealing. Opportunities for employment and other activities will be slim on this ground this years - so the situation sucks a lot. (If you are a budding entrepreneur and do not have to pay rent, now might be a really smart time to start!) For law specifically, we will still need lawyers going forward. I suppose you could make up placements later. I was thinking about doing a law conversation, but now I am wondering if I will be able to get the experience to be competitive. I'm applying that concern to conversation law though, I don't think it's as applicable to undergraduate law right now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise