The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be a narcissist?

I’m starting to believe that maybe the reasons why any relationships or friendships I’ve had in the past haven’t worked out for me is because I’m a narcissist. I’m used to being the centre of attention and I always like to be given attention, but I don’t attention seek.
Can anyone offer any advice?
So I play ‘em like a violin, and make it look oh so easy
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting to believe that maybe the reasons why any relationships or friendships I’ve had in the past haven’t worked out for me is because I’m a narcissist. I’m used to being the centre of attention and I always like to be given attention, but I don’t attention seek.

Narcissistic is when an individual controls others and basically takes over their lives in a sense. If that terminology fits you you’re a narcissistic you want your way or it’s no way. Make sense?
Reply 3
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Narcissistic is when an individual controls others and basically takes over their lives in a sense. If that terminology fits you you’re a narcissistic you want your way or it’s no way. Make sense?

I don’t like to control others but I always like the main attention and focus to be on me. And to some extent, I will argue with others to get my way or I will try to change their viewpoint, so it aligns with mine if that makes sense 🤷*♀️🤷*♀️

Firstly, the good news is you that are not a psychopath- You like to be given attention.
Virtually all humans like a certain level of attention. It comes down to self worth really. The more you genuinely value yourself, the less you will want/need attention.
I don’t like to control others but I always like the main attention and focus to be on me. And to some extent, I will argue with others to get my way or I will try to change their viewpoint, so it aligns with mine if that makes sense 🤷*♀️🤷*♀️

Your contradicting yourself. To need attention is a natural--it doesn't need a label.
You're not a bad person.
Reply 6
Original post by glassalice
Firstly, the good news is you that are not a psychopath- You like to be given attention.
Virtually all humans like a certain level of attention. It comes down to self worth really. The more you genuinely value yourself, the less you will want/need attention.

You see I’ve started to value my self more, but sometimes I think I require that attention for an ego boost perhaps, to make me feel better about myself 🤷*♀️🤷*♀️ but I like male attention and no I’m not desperate 🤷*♀️
Reply 7
A few of them qualities I can relate to, but not all 😂😂😂
Reply 8
Omg This quality is me. I get aggressive but not violent. But I’m a girl and so I be nice to guys to get them to do what i want them to do 🤷*♀️😂😂 Im just not sure if I’m a narcissist because I have some qualities but not all
Reply 9
I mean I used to have a counsellor because I was suffering from depression. I thought that maybe it was my depression that was affecting my relationships with others but now I sit back and think maybe it’s me and my personality
I mean I used to have a counsellor because I was suffering from depression. I thought that maybe it was my depression that was affecting my relationships with others but now I sit back and think maybe it’s me and my personality

Are you awere that narcissists very very rarely ever realise that there is something 'wrong'? Thinking awful things about yourself can in fact be a symptom of depression!
Original post by glassalice
Are you awere that narcissists very very rarely ever realise that there is something 'wrong'? Thinking awful things about yourself can in fact be a symptom of depression!

I think ill put it down to depression and past experiences, so I’m not a narcissist but I have some qualities like a narcissist
Thank you for your help, I will consider this. I guess my low self esteem comes from the way others have treated me
I think ill put it down to depression and past experiences, so I’m not a narcissist but I have some qualities like a narcissist

I think you should maybe try and access some more counselling. They can most likely help.

Over a telephone appointment with your GP, if your over 18 you may be able to get a referral for an online course CBT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending