Any individual applicants going to university in 2020 or early Jan?

Watch
amber2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Because of corona Individual applicants in particular have to take exams In September. I was wondering if anyone has heard any news from their university In Regards to attending university. Are you guys going to uni a few months later like in January or will you be accepted and afterwards if you get the grades you can stay or have to leave ( a theory I heard)
Or have you been told that you would have to go to university in sep 2021.
I have heard ofindividual applicants who have gotten an offer from university and will be going this academic year. (.could be based on particular circumstances)
Interested to hear peoples thoughts and outcomes from Universities as I can imagine a lot us are going through a particularly stressful time. Anyone still going to university or having to defer?
Last edited by amber2106; 6 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you spoken to your exam centre about whether they have the information to get you a calculated grade in August?

A lot of private candidates will still get their results in August (and may well get the grades they need or get accepted with lower grades by their universities).

What university and course are you hoping to study?
What grades do you already hold?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amber2106)
Because of corona Individual applicants in particular have to take exams In September. I was wondering if anyone has heard any news from their university In Regards to attending university. Are you guys going to uni a few months later like in January or will you be accepted and afterwards if you get the grades you can stay or have to leave ( a theory I heard)
Or have you been told that you would have to go to university in sep 2021.
I have heard ofindividual applicants who have gotten an offer from university and will be going this academic year. (.could be based on particular circumstances)
Interested to hear peoples thoughts and outcomes from Universities as I can imagine a lot us are going through a particularly stressful time. Anyone still going to university or having to defer?
I doubt many universities will start courses in January. Some have already announced that students taking exams in September will be offered places the following year.

However nobody really knows how things will work out. Are universities likely to accept students without A level results to start in September. How lenient will universities be. Will there be the reduction in overseas students as predicted. How many UK students will defer to next year. Based on estimates it is anticipated 230,000 students who would otherwise have gone this year might not. That will have a huge impact on university finance if that actually happens. How will universities compensate for that. For all these reasons nobody is able to answer your query and it probably will vary between universities.
amber2106
Rep:
?
I previously received all D's in my alevel which ik is awful ( combo of awful degrading teachers and lack of faith at the very start of the academic year which took a toll on me, I started to belive them) . However I took a gap working up to 7 days a week to help contribute to the household and I got tutors for 2 out of 3 alevel subjects but Idk if they would be able to provide me with the grades I think I am capable off , I have worked tirelessly to redeem myself but but tutors realistically speaking are gonna predict me a B if I got a D at alevel, when I KNOW I am working towards an A. I could tell them that I hav been working rlly hard to get A's, but I wonder if they would even qualify as credible grading bodies, will My exam center accept the predicted grades they have set for me, because they mentioned something to do with 'sufficient evidence'.

My exam center talked bout finding other exam centers who may be able to do a few tests and get predicted grades. But I don't kno where or how to find tht info.
Of course I understand there r bigger things going on in the world, just feel like all efforts have gone to waste.
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I doubt many universities will start courses in January. Some have already announced that students taking exams in September will be offered places the following year.

However nobody really knows how things will work out. Are universities likely to accept students without A level results to start in September. How lenient will universities be. Will there be the reduction in overseas students as predicted. How many UK students will defer to next year. Based on estimates it is anticipated 230,000 students who would otherwise have gone this year might not. That will have a huge impact on university finance if that actually happens. How will universities compensate for that. For all these reasons nobody is able to answer your query and it probably will vary between universities.
Some do, there's a few websites that have lists of small number of universities who do courses. But Idk if they r known to be the most reputable uni. Like Buckingham University.
I guess the outcomes r v subjective,people would have to call unis to find out.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You are looking at a university that is one of the few, possibly only, universities that offer 2 year degrees and normally have January start dates. Most universities are not going to change to January start dates. Terms usually run September to June and if you put back the start date to Jan they wont finish until October which is after the following year starts. Lecturers often take on research in most universities in the summer months. It is highly unlikely many, if any, universities will change their dates to that extent for what will essentially be a small group of students. The government have totally misled people into expecting this. If they were able to get results out very quickly it might have been feasible for courses to be delayed by a couple of weeks but getting results out by Christmas is not going to get students going to university this year,

What might happen is that universities will be far more flexible on grades and many will get in through that. If the belief of universities UK proves correct then universities will be very short of numbers and might decide to accept lower grades to try and fill places. We wont know yet but that is my gut feeling of what will happen but nobody knows for certain as there is uncertainty of the numbers likely to go to university this year.

The government have been backtracking over what exams will or will not take place in September.

Some do, there's a few websites that have lists of small number of universities who do courses. But Idk if they r known to be the most reputable uni. Like Buckingham University.
I guess the outcomes r v subjective,people would have to call unis to find out.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I previously received all D's in my alevel which ik is awful ( combo of awful degrading teachers and lack of faith at the very start of the academic year which took a toll on me, I started to belive them) . However I took a gap working up to 7 days a week to help contribute to the household and I got tutors for 2 out of 3 alevel subjects but Idk if they would be able to provide me with the grades I think I am capable off , I have worked tirelessly to redeem myself but but tutors realistically speaking are gonna predict me a B if I got a D at alevel, when I KNOW I am working towards an A. I could tell them that I hav been working rlly hard to get A's, but I wonder if they would even qualify as credible grading bodies, will My exam center accept the predicted grades they have set for me, because they mentioned something to do with 'sufficient evidence'.

My exam center talked bout finding other exam centers who may be able to do a few tests and get predicted grades. But I don't kno where or how to find tht info.
Of course I understand there r bigger things going on in the world, just feel like all efforts have gone to waste.
Contacting exam centres to ensure that you can get a calculated grade seems like a better use of your time right now than pinning all your hopes on finding a January start course that you like.

Getting a calculated grade is your best chance of getting to university without a second gap year until sept 2021.

What university and course do you want to study at?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.61%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.38%
No - I live at home during term anyway (46)
25.7%

Watched Threads