auroranioep9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Right. I’m turning 18 soon, and I’ve got awful gcse results (was very ill at time of GCSEs) I’m wanting to get a TESOL ba hons degree, however the entry requirements are at least 3 gcses at a 4/C grade or above. the best grades I got was 3 in science, 3 in English lit, 3 in re and 4 in English Lang, also got a merit in English speaking exam. It says ‘Our published entry requirements are a guide only and our decision will be based on your overall suitability for the course as well as whether you meet the minimum entry requirements’. Now, if I was to apply based on my results, would I have a chance? If I applied, would I be wasting my time? do university let you resit gcses? Or would I have to go to college and take a year to hopefully pass my gcses? this post may seem silly but I’m trying hard with what I’ve got without going back to college. Many thanks
amber2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by auroranioep9)
Right. I’m turning 18 soon, and I’ve got awful gcse results (was very ill at time of GCSEs) I’m wanting to get a TESOL ba hons degree, however the entry requirements are at least 3 gcses at a 4/C grade or above. the best grades I got was 3 in science, 3 in English lit, 3 in re and 4 in English Lang, also got a merit in English speaking exam. It says ‘Our published entry requirements are a guide only and our decision will be based on your overall suitability for the course as well as whether you meet the minimum entry requirements’. Now, if I was to apply based on my results, would I have a chance? If I applied, would I be wasting my time? do university let you resit gcses? Or would I have to go to college and take a year to hopefully pass my gcses? this post may seem silly but I’m trying hard with what I’ve got without going back to college. Many thanks
I'm not sure. I think its best to email the universites you wish to apply to, they may let u in for a foundation program (so one extra year). You may also be made to take a year out in order to pass the subjects that are required.
Sorry this isn't v informative I think ur best bet is to email or call one of ur desired unis and just ask. They may let u in but with an exception like completing gcse alongside ur studies or doing a foundational year or ask for u to take a year out and pass.
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Email the unis and ask if they'd be willing to accept you. Make sure you mention you were very sick at the time and if you can, get some kind of proof sorted as they'll probably ask for it. A doctors letter would be best, but if not a letter from the school you took your GCSEs at should work too. You will probably need to retake maths, as most unis (and jobs later) normally ask for a C/4.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by auroranioep9)
Universities tend to insist on GCSE requirements and most colleges or schools would have expected you to take level 2 exams in English and Maths if you dont have them. As said you could try contacting universities but the likelyhood is you will be required to get a 3 in Maths and possibly take a BTEC level 2 in Science at college. Universities also usually require a level 3 course whether that be A levels, BTEC, IB or Access courses. Universities sometimes forego entry requirements for mature or overseas students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (761)
42.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads