The Student Room Group

Please can someone offer me any relationship advice

So I’ve getting to know a guy, he’s from UAE and I’m from the UK (some of your May remember from my previous thread). I’m 18 and he’s 24 and we have planned to meet and get to know each other’s family.
However, I am come from a background, where my parents expect me to marry someone of my own calibre. For example, he has to have a high level of education like myself. Previous relationships haven’t worked out, because my parents haven’t liked the guys I’ve bought home because it would be like I’m marrying down. Although he isn’t educated, he makes me happy and we have planned our future to the finest details.
Even when we meet, and I fall in love with him even more, I don’t know how I would tell my parents that I’ve been speaking to a guy from a different country and I’m not sure if they’ll accept him.
I’m going away to University to study engineering, my parents will be expecting me to bring an engineer home, but I will be bringing home a guy that doesn’t exceed their expectations. They won’t throw me out or anything, but they will be extremely disappointed and may not be willing to accept the relationship.
Is there any advice anyone could offer?
You gotta choose happiness, not follow vision that your mummy and daddy want you to chase.
Reply 2
Original post by zhendoz
You gotta choose happiness, not follow vision that your mummy and daddy want you to chase.

Yes. But you see I believe I need to have my parents blessings 🤷*♀️
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve getting to know a guy, he’s from UAE and I’m from the UK (some of your May remember from my previous thread). I’m 18 and he’s 24 and we have planned to meet and get to know each other’s family.
However, I am come from a background, where my parents expect me to marry someone of my own calibre. For example, he has to have a high level of education like myself. Previous relationships haven’t worked out, because my parents haven’t liked the guys I’ve bought home because it would be like I’m marrying down. Although he isn’t educated, he makes me happy and we have planned our future to the finest details.
Even when we meet, and I fall in love with him even more, I don’t know how I would tell my parents that I’ve been speaking to a guy from a different country and I’m not sure if they’ll accept him.
I’m going away to University to study engineering, my parents will be expecting me to bring an engineer home, but I will be bringing home a guy that doesn’t exceed their expectations. They won’t throw me out or anything, but they will be extremely disappointed and may not be willing to accept the relationship.
Is there any advice anyone could offer?

I think you are thinking too far ahead. You haven’t met the guy in real life yet, you need to make sure that you both get on with each other in person before throwing families into the mix.

Also a lot of relationships don’t continue when someone starts uni. Some do of course, but you don’t know which category you are going to fall in to. Just see how both of these go before introducing him to your parents.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes. But you see I believe I need to have my parents blessings 🤷*♀️

I guess then you can only convince them by explaining why you think he’s the right one for you and I guess he will have to go one extra mile to prove why he’s a right guy for you
Reply 5
Original post by Mosaic4
I think you are thinking too far ahead. You haven’t met the guy in real life yet, you need to make sure that you both get on with each other in person before throwing families into the mix.

Also a lot of relationships don’t continue when someone starts uni. Some do of course, but you don’t know which category you are going to fall in to. Just see how both of these go before introducing him to your parents.

Right because the plan was that if we were to meet and we both liked each other, then we would get family involvement. My religion doesn’t really allow for boyfriend/ girlfriend relationships.
I thought about it at first and realised that I might find some guy at uni, and then I ended up telling him that I needed time to think, and so I ended up deleting him from my phone and stopped talking to him. But Ive been feeling lost and lonely these last couple of weeks, and i feel lost without him. I’m going to meet with him first before family get involved, just worried about if family are going to accept him or not.
Reply 6
Original post by zhendoz
I guess then you can only convince them by explaining why you think he’s the right one for you and I guess he will have to go one extra mile to prove why he’s a right guy for you

Yes I guess your right, thank you. Hopefully all goes well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending