Heyyyyyaaaaaa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, I’m a female who’s still in school but considering joining the armed forces. My dad is ex-army and was deployed on several tours, he is best mates with all of the guys he served with and they often go skiing together, etc. He had the best years of his life in the army. I’m not sure what my parents will think of me wanting to join...ultimately they’ll let me go but my mum will be worried. I’m very suited to being in the army and I just don’t think that an office job is for me. I would want to be a combat medical technician. Can anyone tell me what it’s actually like, and is it worth still doing sixth form to have some a levels when I eventually go back to civvy street or not as my parents pay for private school so I don’t want them wasting money if not. Would love to hear from both females and males! Thank you
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably less lip gloss than in Our Girl. 😁
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Consider the Royal Navy too, there is a role at Rating entry level called Medical Assistant.

One Royal Navy Medical Assistant, Kate Nesbitt, was awarded the Military Cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1-yrddeB8

If you did stay on to do A Levels, this would open up Officer entry after 6th Form for you too. You can become an Officer from within the Navy, but, if A Levels are an option, it's worth looking at joining as an Officer with those.

You would have to look carefully at the Officer roles, though, to see which one suited you. The Medical branch does have Officer Entry, but in particular roles; you may still prefer to join as a Medical Assistant.

The Royal Navy website is being updated this weekend, so the Careers pages aren't accessible, but they should be up again soon.

PS You may wish to also look at Naval Nurse (Student).
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 year ago
Heyyyyyaaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Probably less lip gloss than in Our Girl. 😁
Hahaha yeah of course
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The RN website is up again.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...ical-assistant
Xxfreyaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just posted such a similar thing😂I am completely torn between doing my a-levels or signing up to Harrogate for their March intake as I really want to be a combat medical tech!!
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xxfreyaaa)
I have just posted such a similar thing😂I am completely torn between doing my a-levels or signing up to Harrogate for their March intake as I really want to be a combat medical tech!!
Heyaaaaa and freyaaaaa , why is it you are so desperate to become combat medics and where do you see yourselves in say 20 years time?
Heyyyyyaaaaaa
Rep:
?
Great thanks I’ll take a look
Heyyyyyaaaaaa
Rep:
?

I know I’m torn! The thing pulling me towards doing my a levels is that if I leave the army then I have more than just gcses...but on the other hand I really want to go to Harrogate. I don’t know what to do! 😂
Xxfreyaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ikaruss)
Heyaaaaa and freyaaaaa , why is it you are so desperate to become combat medics and where do you see yourselves in say 20 years time?
I’m quite an outgoing person, I play a sport which I represent england and love a challenge. I originally wanted to become a paramedic but then the army medic role presented itself and I really would like to try for it, as i feel it just fits my personality and what I want out of a career. In 20 years? I honestly really am not sure, I would be able to gain medical qualifications through the army so maybe a future in health care.
Heyyyyyaaaaaa
Rep:
?

I know I’m torn! The thing pulling me towards doing my a levels is that if I leave the army then I have more than just gcses...but on the other hand I really want to go to Harrogate. I don’t know what to do! 😂

I’m quite an outgoing person, I play a sport which I represent england and love a challenge. I originally wanted to become a paramedic but then the army medic role presented itself and I really would like to try for it, as i feel it just fits my personality and what I want out of a career. In 20 years? I honestly really am not sure, I would be able to gain medical qualifications through the army so maybe a future in health care.
I’m very much the same: represented the country for a sport, a confident person that can easily lead a group, love a challenge and adventure. My parents have both been paramedics and my mum still is one so my background is very much medical and the army. It just feels right to have a job that comes with risk of rather than maybe sitting in an office where I know I’ll be bored.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
39.11%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.67%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (54)
24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise