is English or geography better when applying to a medical uni?

Watch
Honeytoast1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Which is more useful English or geography at higher when applying for a medicine course?
I am starting S5 and have currently chosen maths,biology,chemistry, art and design at higher but am struggling to decide between English or geography.
I feel like I would enjoy geography more and have a better chance of getting an A but is it considered a good subject for a medicine course? I am also thinking that taking geography might be less time consuming than taking English. I could then take English higher in S6 but would that affect the application.
English has a heavier writing base so I think it would help me more in writing essays and balance out my mostly maths based subjects.The teacher thinks I could do well if I took it. However I am just concerned that the workload would be too much put together with my other subjects.
Thanks for any advice! 😃
Last edited by Honeytoast1; 3 months ago
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
this is Dundee's requirements:
ABBB / BBBBB grades at Higher, to include chemistry and another science subject.
The other three Highers can be your own choice and this will not influence assessment.

Glasgow:
S5 minimum entry requirements: AAAAA/AAAABB.S6 standard entry requirements: S5 minimum and two Advanced Highers at AB and one Higher at B, or S5 minimum and three Advanced Highers at BBB.
Additional requirements: Higher Chemistry and Higher Biology/Human Biology AND either Higher Mathematics or Physics. It is acceptable to take Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics as Highers in S6, provided grades AAAAA or AAAABB are achieved by end of S5. A minimum of Grade B is required in any required Higher subject studied in S6.
Advanced Highers are normally only considered from S6. There are no subject requirements for Advanced Highers. Biology and Human Biology are considered equal subjects at Higher however only one is counted towards entry grades.
English at National 5 level at Grade B or above

Edinburgh:
SQA: Highers: Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination is not possible at S5. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology. National 5s: Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics at B. Offers are conditional on S6 performance.

St Andrews:
Highers must include Chemistry and one of Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics or Physics, to be taken at the same sitting. If not passed at Higher, applicants must also have National 5 grade B in Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics, and English.

Aberdeen:
Higher qualifications Chemistry (Grade B minimum);
Two subjects are required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths, Physics.
Two further Highers in most other subjects – applicants should check with the Medical Admissions office if clarification required.
These may be taken across the Senior Phase – S4 to S6
There is no requirement, and therefore no advantage given, to obtaining the three sciences required in one sitting. Maths is regarded as a science.

Miss Scarlett
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Go with whichever subject you think you will do best at.
VGM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don’t think most unis will be too fussed on which one of the two you do, as long as you still do the required subjects. In this case just do whichever you prefer
Honeytoast1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by VGM)
I don’t think most unis will be too fussed on which one of the two you do, as long as you still do the required subjects. In this case just do whichever you prefer
I have decided to go with English.Thank you to everyone who has replied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (265)
40.27%
Take autumn exams (197)
29.94%
Look for a job (22)
3.34%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.8%
Take a year out (110)
16.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.93%

Watched Threads